how do I get rid of ffmpeg.exe that prevents me from deleting a vLC file?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

how do I get rid of ffmpeg.exe that prevents me from deleting a vLC file?

Catriel Beeri
--
<http://www.dan-academy.co.il/>כתריאל בארי
פרופסור (אמריטוס), ביה"ס להנדסה ולמדעי המחשב על שם רחל וסלים בנין,
האוניברסיטה העברית בירושלים
 Prof. (Emeritus) Catriel Beeri
The Rachel & Selim Benin School of Computer Science and Engineering
The Hebrew university of Jerusalem


  <[hidden email]>
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how do I get rid of ffmpeg.exe that prevents me from deleting a vLC file?

Reindl Harald
you are talking in miracles but given the .exe it's likely some "windows
can't delete files with open handles" issue

but what is a "vlc file"?

just kill all processes which have open the file you want to delete -
that's what the taskmanager is for
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how do I get rid of ffmpeg.exe that prevents me from deleting a vLC file?

Catriel Beeri
A VLC file is used to play music/videos. It is a pretty old  volunteer
effort.
As for the problem, I did close a process before I sent the request for
help.
The problem seemed to persist.
Now, however, it seems to be gone.

Thanks for the quick response.
Catriel Beeri

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 8:44 PM Reindl Harald <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> you are talking in miracles but given the .exe it's likely some "windows
> can't delete files with open handles" issue
>
> but what is a "vlc file"?
>
> just kill all processes which have open the file you want to delete -
> that's what the taskmanager is for
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".



--
<http://www.dan-academy.co.il/>כתריאל בארי
פרופסור (אמריטוס), ביה"ס להנדסה ולמדעי המחשב על שם רחל וסלים בנין,
האוניברסיטה העברית בירושלים
 Prof. (Emeritus) Catriel Beeri
The Rachel & Selim Benin School of Computer Science and Engineering
The Hebrew university of Jerusalem


  <[hidden email]>
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how do I get rid of ffmpeg.exe that prevents me from deleting a vLC file?

Carl Zwanzig
On 1/17/2021 11:04 AM, Catriel Beeri wrote:
> A VLC file is used to play music/videos. It is a pretty old  volunteer
> effort.

Apparently .vlc files are playlists (and identical to m3u files); I'm
surprised anyone uses that file extension anymore.

> Now, however, it seems to be gone.

probably because the process finally ended.

That said, the first problem report was very lacking in useful information.

z!
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how do I get rid of ffmpeg.exe that prevents me from deleting a vLC file?

Catriel Beeri
Thank you for your response.
As for VLC, I personally am surprised that you and others that work on a
public domain project, are not aware of what VLC is.
If, there exists another public domain software for playing music and video
files, I would appreciate hearing about it.


On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 10:57 PM Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/17/2021 11:04 AM, Catriel Beeri wrote:
> > A VLC file is used to play music/videos. It is a pretty old  volunteer
> > effort.
>
> Apparently .vlc files are playlists (and identical to m3u files); I'm
> surprised anyone uses that file extension anymore.
>
> > Now, however, it seems to be gone.
>
> probably because the process finally ended.
>
> That said, the first problem report was very lacking in useful information.
>
> z!
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
> To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".



--
<http://www.dan-academy.co.il/>כתריאל בארי
פרופסור (אמריטוס), ביה"ס להנדסה ולמדעי המחשב על שם רחל וסלים בנין,
האוניברסיטה העברית בירושלים
 Prof. (Emeritus) Catriel Beeri
The Rachel & Selim Benin School of Computer Science and Engineering
The Hebrew university of Jerusalem


  <[hidden email]>
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how do I get rid of ffmpeg.exe that prevents me from deleting a vLC file?

Reindl Harald


Am 18.01.21 um 10:13 schrieb Catriel Beeri:
> As for VLC, I personally am surprised that you and others that work on a
> public domain project, are not aware of what VLC is.

we all know what VLC is but "vLC file" sounds like nonsense given that
every audio or video file is more or less a "vlc file"

anyways, whenever you can't delete a file on windows the solution is to
find all processes with a lock on that file or get a proper operating
system :-)
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://ffmpeg.org/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user

To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
[hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".