Quantcast

ffmpeg presets

kosta vlotis
hi,

i keep seeing references to "-pre main" and "-pre hq" but when i try
using these commands i get something like preset file not found. can
anyone tell me where the preset files are?

Re: ffmpeg presets

Robert Swain-2
On 11/3/09 15:58, kosta vlotis wrote:
> i keep seeing references to "-pre main" and "-pre hq" but when i try
> using these commands i get something like preset file not found. can
> anyone tell me where the preset files are?

The files have been in trunk for quite a while and they are in the 0.5
release. They get installed to ${prefix}/share/ffmpeg (i.e.
/usr/local/share/ffmpeg by default) and you can use them through the
-apre -vpre and -spre commands.

If the files are not installed from your package, either your package is
too old, the package didn't contain the preset files when it should, the
package installed them to the wrong location, the permissions on not
such that the user in question can read them or a multitude of other things.

You can download the preset files manually from the svn repository or
get them from the release tarball and either use -vpre
/path/to/libx264-hq.ffpreset or similar, or you can drop them in
~/.ffmpeg/ (if the directory doesn't exist, you can make it.

Regards,
Rob

Re: ffmpeg presets

kosta vlotis
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Robert Swain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/3/09 15:58, kosta vlotis wrote:
>> i keep seeing references to "-pre main" and "-pre hq" but when i try
>> using these commands i get something like preset file not found. can
>> anyone tell me where the preset files are?
>
> The files have been in trunk for quite a while and they are in the 0.5
> release. They get installed to ${prefix}/share/ffmpeg (i.e.
> /usr/local/share/ffmpeg by default) and you can use them through the
> -apre -vpre and -spre commands.
>
> If the files are not installed from your package, either your package is
> too old, the package didn't contain the preset files when it should, the
> package installed them to the wrong location, the permissions on not
> such that the user in question can read them or a multitude of other things.
>
> You can download the preset files manually from the svn repository or
> get them from the release tarball and either use -vpre
> /path/to/libx264-hq.ffpreset or similar, or you can drop them in
> ~/.ffmpeg/ (if the directory doesn't exist, you can make it.
>
> Regards,
> Rob

thanks, i downloaded them and tried to use one but i still got "preset
file not found" where should i put the preset files after i download
and extract them?

Re: ffmpeg presets

Robert Swain-2
On 11/3/09 16:31, kosta vlotis wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Robert Swain<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 11/3/09 15:58, kosta vlotis wrote:
>>> i keep seeing references to "-pre main" and "-pre hq" but when i try
>>> using these commands i get something like preset file not found. can
>>> anyone tell me where the preset files are?
>> The files have been in trunk for quite a while and they are in the 0.5
>> release. They get installed to ${prefix}/share/ffmpeg (i.e.
>> /usr/local/share/ffmpeg by default) and you can use them through the
>> -apre -vpre and -spre commands.
>>
>> If the files are not installed from your package, either your package is
>> too old, the package didn't contain the preset files when it should, the
>> package installed them to the wrong location, the permissions on not
>> such that the user in question can read them or a multitude of other things.
>>
>> You can download the preset files manually from the svn repository or
>> get them from the release tarball and either use -vpre
>> /path/to/libx264-hq.ffpreset or similar, or you can drop them in
>> ~/.ffmpeg/ (if the directory doesn't exist, you can make it.
>>
> thanks, i downloaded them and tried to use one but i still got "preset
> file not found" where should i put the preset files after i download
> and extract them?

${prefix}/share/ffmpeg or ~/.ffmpeg if you want to use simply -vpre hq
or similar.

Anywhere you like if you want to use -vpre /path/to/libx264-hq.ffpreset
or similar.

Where are the files on your machine currently and what command line are
you trying to use?

Regards,
Rob

Re: ffmpeg presets

kosta vlotis
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Robert Swain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/3/09 16:31, kosta vlotis wrote:
>>> The files have been in trunk for quite a while and they are in the 0.5
>>> release. They get installed to ${prefix}/share/ffmpeg (i.e.
>>> /usr/local/share/ffmpeg by default) and you can use them through the
>>> -apre -vpre and -spre commands.
>>>
>>> If the files are not installed from your package, either your package is
>>> too old, the package didn't contain the preset files when it should, the
>>> package installed them to the wrong location, the permissions on not
>>> such that the user in question can read them or a multitude of other things.
>>>
>>> You can download the preset files manually from the svn repository or
>>> get them from the release tarball and either use -vpre
>>> /path/to/libx264-hq.ffpreset or similar, or you can drop them in
>>> ~/.ffmpeg/ (if the directory doesn't exist, you can make it.
>>>
>> thanks, i downloaded them and tried to use one but i still got "preset
>> file not found" where should i put the preset files after i download
>> and extract them?
>
> ${prefix}/share/ffmpeg or ~/.ffmpeg if you want to use simply -vpre hq
> or similar.
>
> Anywhere you like if you want to use -vpre /path/to/libx264-hq.ffpreset
> or similar.
>
> Where are the files on your machine currently and what command line are
> you trying to use?
>
> Regards,
> Rob

im trying to use this:
ffmpeg -i shyla_stylez_pt2.avi -an -pass 1 -vcodec libx264 -vpre
/ffpresets/libx264-fastfirstpass.ffpreset -b 2000k -bt 2000k -threads
0 pass1.mp4

all the preset files are in /ffpresets/
i get "preset file not found"

Re: ffmpeg presets

Robert Swain-2
On 11/3/09 16:50, kosta vlotis wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Robert Swain<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> thanks, i downloaded them and tried to use one but i still got "preset
>>> file not found" where should i put the preset files after i download
>>> and extract them?
>> ${prefix}/share/ffmpeg or ~/.ffmpeg if you want to use simply -vpre hq
>> or similar.
>>
>> Anywhere you like if you want to use -vpre /path/to/libx264-hq.ffpreset
>> or similar.
>>
>> Where are the files on your machine currently and what command line are
>> you trying to use?
>>
> im trying to use this:
> ffmpeg -i shyla_stylez_pt2.avi -an -pass 1 -vcodec libx264 -vpre
> /ffpresets/libx264-fastfirstpass.ffpreset -b 2000k -bt 2000k -threads
> 0 pass1.mp4
>
> all the preset files are in /ffpresets/
> i get "preset file not found"

What are the permissions on the directory and on the files? You need to
have read access to the files.

Regards,
Rob

Re: ffmpeg presets

kosta vlotis
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Robert Swain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/3/09 16:50, kosta vlotis wrote:

>>> ${prefix}/share/ffmpeg or ~/.ffmpeg if you want to use simply -vpre hq
>>> or similar.
>>>
>>> Anywhere you like if you want to use -vpre /path/to/libx264-hq.ffpreset
>>> or similar.
>>>
>>> Where are the files on your machine currently and what command line are
>>> you trying to use?
>>>
>> im trying to use this:
>> ffmpeg -i shyla_stylez_pt2.avi -an -pass 1 -vcodec libx264 -vpre
>> /ffpresets/libx264-fastfirstpass.ffpreset -b 2000k -bt 2000k -threads
>> 0 pass1.mp4
>>
>> all the preset files are in /ffpresets/
>> i get "preset file not found"
>
> What are the permissions on the directory and on the files? You need to
> have read access to the files.
>
> Regards,
> Rob

im logged on as root so this shouldnt be a problem. i just did a chmod
0777 on them just to make sure and i still get the same error

Re: ffmpeg presets

Robert Swain-2
On 11/3/09 17:02, kosta vlotis wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Robert Swain<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 11/3/09 16:50, kosta vlotis wrote:
>>> im trying to use this:
>>> ffmpeg -i shyla_stylez_pt2.avi -an -pass 1 -vcodec libx264 -vpre
>>> /ffpresets/libx264-fastfirstpass.ffpreset -b 2000k -bt 2000k -threads
>>> 0 pass1.mp4
>>>
>>> all the preset files are in /ffpresets/
>>> i get "preset file not found"
>> What are the permissions on the directory and on the files? You need to
>> have read access to the files.
>>
> im logged on as root so this shouldnt be a problem. i just did a chmod
> 0777 on them just to make sure and i still get the same error

Maybe being logged on as root is your problem - you shouldn't be running
ffmpeg as root, there's no need. Also, what are the permissions on the
/ffpresets directory?

Regards,
Rob

Re: ffmpeg presets

kosta vlotis
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Robert Swain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/3/09 17:02, kosta vlotis wrote:

>>> What are the permissions on the directory and on the files? You need to
>>> have read access to the files.
>>>
>> im logged on as root so this shouldnt be a problem. i just did a chmod
>> 0777 on them just to make sure and i still get the same error
>
> Maybe being logged on as root is your problem - you shouldn't be running
> ffmpeg as root, there's no need. Also, what are the permissions on the
> /ffpresets directory?
>
> Regards,
> Rob
> _______

Re: ffmpeg presets

Robert Swain-2
On 11/3/09 17:48, kosta vlotis wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Robert Swain<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> im logged on as root so this shouldnt be a problem. i just did a chmod
>>> 0777 on them just to make sure and i still get the same error
>> Maybe being logged on as root is your problem - you shouldn't be running
>> ffmpeg as root, there's no need. Also, what are the permissions on the
>> /ffpresets directory?
>>
> the permissions on the directory is 0777 so rwx for everyone

That doesn't really make any sense. I know ffmpeg handles presets being
fed to it using absolute paths. What version of FFmpeg are you using?
Did you try running it as a different, non-root user?

Regards,
Rob

Re: ffmpeg presets

kosta vlotis
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Robert Swain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/3/09 17:48, kosta vlotis wrote:

>>> Maybe being logged on as root is your problem - you shouldn't be running
>>> ffmpeg as root, there's no need. Also, what are the permissions on the
>>> /ffpresets directory?
>>>
>> the permissions on the directory is 0777 so rwx for everyone
>
> That doesn't really make any sense. I know ffmpeg handles presets being
> fed to it using absolute paths. What version of FFmpeg are you using?
> Did you try running it as a different, non-root user?
>
> Regards,
> Rob

 i just tried running as a non rot user right now. same result. i'm
running version: FFmpeg version SVN-r15261

i installed it just by using "yum install ffmpeg" in fedora 10

Re: ffmpeg presets

Robert Swain-2
On 11/3/09 18:00, kosta vlotis wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Robert Swain<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> the permissions on the directory is 0777 so rwx for everyone
>> That doesn't really make any sense. I know ffmpeg handles presets being
>> fed to it using absolute paths. What version of FFmpeg are you using?
>> Did you try running it as a different, non-root user?
>>
>   i just tried running as a non rot user right now. same result. i'm
> running version: FFmpeg version SVN-r15261
>
> i installed it just by using "yum install ffmpeg" in fedora 10

I suspect that version, while supporting presets, didn't support paths
to presets. Please try to find an updated package, or compile your own
from svn or the release tarball. Else you can snoop through the code to
find out where it wants the files to be. I'm pretty sure ~/.ffmpeg was
always an option so you could put the files there and use -vcodec
libx264 -vpre fastfirstpass.

Regards,
Rob

Re: ffmpeg presets

kosta vlotis
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Robert Swain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/3/09 18:00, kosta vlotis wrote:

>>> That doesn't really make any sense. I know ffmpeg handles presets being
>>> fed to it using absolute paths. What version of FFmpeg are you using?
>>> Did you try running it as a different, non-root user?
>>>
>>   i just tried running as a non rot user right now. same result. i'm
>> running version: FFmpeg version SVN-r15261
>>
>> i installed it just by using "yum install ffmpeg" in fedora 10
>
> I suspect that version, while supporting presets, didn't support paths
> to presets. Please try to find an updated package, or compile your own
> from svn or the release tarball. Else you can snoop through the code to
> find out where it wants the files to be. I'm pretty sure ~/.ffmpeg was
> always an option so you could put the files there and use -vcodec
> libx264 -vpre fastfirstpass.
>
> Regards,
> Rob

i made a /ffmpeg directory and put all the presets in there and it worked!!!
do you know where i can find detailed instructions on how to compile
the latest version (0.5) with pretty much everything enabled? is there
an easier way to get it? i'll compile the latest version myself.. but
i need some instructions..

Re: ffmpeg presets

Robert Swain-2
On 11/3/09 18:16, kosta vlotis wrote:
> i made a /ffmpeg directory and put all the presets in there and it worked!!!
> do you know where i can find detailed instructions on how to compile
> the latest version (0.5) with pretty much everything enabled? is there
> an easier way to get it? i'll compile the latest version myself.. but
> i need some instructions..

You really shouldn't be running as root for any tasks that do not need
root privileges. The 'ffmpeg' CLI is such a task.

The instructions are in the tarball in the 'INSTALL' file. Have a read
of that. But maybe there's a 0.5 Fedora package floating around somewhere.

Regards,
Rob

Re: ffmpeg presets

kosta vlotis
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Robert Swain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/3/09 18:16, kosta vlotis wrote:
>> i made a /ffmpeg directory and put all the presets in there and it worked!!!
>> do you know where i can find detailed instructions on how to compile
>> the latest version (0.5) with pretty much everything enabled? is there
>> an easier way to get it? i'll compile the latest version myself.. but
>> i need some instructions..
>
> You really shouldn't be running as root for any tasks that do not need
> root privileges. The 'ffmpeg' CLI is such a task.
>
> The instructions are in the tarball in the 'INSTALL' file. Have a read
> of that. But maybe there's a 0.5 Fedora package floating around somewhere.
>
> Regards,
> Rob

ya i know it's a bad habit of mine..
i'll take a look at the instructions in the tarball

thanks for all your help!