ffmpeg-lambda-layer and concat protocol

Maksym Portianoi
Hi!

I am trying to concatenate two .mp3 files using ffmpeg lambda-layer. I have
what I think is the correct command, but I struggle to represent it in code
so that it is formatted correctly for the lambda layer. Here is a piece of
code that I am struggling to get right:

spawnSync(

  '/opt/ffmpeg/ffmpeg',

  [

    '-i',

    '"concat:/tmp/pt1.mp3|/tmp/pt2.mp3"',

    '-acodec',

    'copy',

    `/tmp/${fileName}`

  ],

  { stdio: 'inherit' }

)

The error I'm getting: "concat:/tmp/pt1.mp3|/tmp/pt2.mp3": No such file or
directory.

I tried to list files in /tmp/ folder - both files listed in the input are
there, not sure why lambda layer can't find them.

Similar question:
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2019-December/046299.html.
Ffmpeg concatenate protocol documentation:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate#protocol.

Thanks in advance!

Re: ffmpeg-lambda-layer and concat protocol

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am Mi., 24. Feb. 2021 um 21:44 Uhr schrieb Maksym Portianoi
<[hidden email]>:

>     '"concat:/tmp/pt1.mp3|/tmp/pt2.mp3"',

Unrelated to your question - I have no idea what a lambda-layer is:
Above is 100% equivalent to "cat pt1.mp3 pt2.mp3 > $(fileName)",
this is often not ok for mp3 files.
If it is ok, you can use cat, no need for FFmpeg.

In general, when asking questions here, you are expected to
provide an actual FFmpeg command line that you tested in a
shell of your choice together with the complete, uncut console
output.

Carl Eugen

Re: ffmpeg-lambda-layer and concat protocol

Maksym Portianoi
Oh I see. No, cat won't solve my issue, thanks for the suggestion though.
Yeah I had a feeling that this mailing list is not the right place for me
to ask my question but wanted to try anyway because I found someone
elses' question on the same issue.
I am referring to this post:
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2019-December/046299.html

Is there any way I can see the thread for that question?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 4:18 PM Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mi., 24. Feb. 2021 um 21:44 Uhr schrieb Maksym Portianoi
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> >     '"concat:/tmp/pt1.mp3|/tmp/pt2.mp3"',
>
> Unrelated to your question - I have no idea what a lambda-layer is:
> Above is 100% equivalent to "cat pt1.mp3 pt2.mp3 > $(fileName)",
> this is often not ok for mp3 files.
> If it is ok, you can use cat, no need for FFmpeg.
>
> In general, when asking questions here, you are expected to
> provide an actual FFmpeg command line that you tested in a
> shell of your choice together with the complete, uncut console
> output.
>
> Carl Eugen

Re: ffmpeg-lambda-layer and concat protocol

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am Mi., 24. Feb. 2021 um 23:37 Uhr schrieb Maksym Portianoi
<[hidden email]>:

> No, cat won't solve my issue

Then your command line most likely will not work either,
independent from "lambda". The concat protocol works
exactly as cat.

Please find out what top-posting means and avoid it here.

Carl Eugen

Re: ffmpeg-lambda-layer and concat protocol

Jim DeLaHunt-2
On 2021-02-24 14:36, Maksym Portianoi wrote:

> …Yeah I had a feeling that this mailing list is not the right place for me
> to ask my question but wanted to try anyway because I found someone
> elses' question on the same issue.
> I am referring to this post:
> https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2019-December/046299.html

Hello, Maksym, and welcome to the ffmpeg-users email list.

Yes, it also seems to me that this is the wrong place to ask questions
about "ffmpeg-lambda-layer". If I look at the URL mentioned in the
ffmpeg-user message you linked to,

<https://serverlessrepo.aws.amazon.com/applications/arn:aws:serverlessrepo:us
-east-1:145266761615:applications~ffmpeg-lambda-layer
<https://serverlessrepo.aws.amazon.com/applications/arn:aws:serverlessrepo:us-east-1:145266761615:applications~ffmpeg-lambda-layer>>

I see a page which says, "FFmpeg/FFprobe Lambda Layer for Amazon Linux 2
AMIs. Static build of FFmpeg/FFprobe for Amazon Linux 2, packaged as a
Lambda layer." That says to me that the Lambda Layer is a mechanism
defined by Amazon AWS. This list is about ffmpeg, as invoked on a
command line on conventional PCs and similar. Thus it's reasonable that
this is not the right place to get support for either the Lambda Layer
mechanism or the ffmpeg-lambda-layer application.

> Is there any way I can see the thread for that question?

Yes. If you look at the header of that archived message, you see a link,

yasm".

The fact that the title of the next message is different than the title
of the archived message says that there are no (more) replies in that
thread.

Also, the next line of the archived message is:

If you click on the link, "[ thread ]", the archive takes you to a page
listing all the messages to that list for that month, sorted by message
thread. Find the original message in that listing. It is the only one in
its thread.

The FFmpeg-user list archive behaves similarly to a number of other list
archives. The same approach may work for you with other lists.

Good luck concatenating your mp3 files! Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt

Re: ffmpeg-lambda-layer and concat protocol

FFmpeg-users mailing list
Carl Eugen Hoyos <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am Mi., 24. Feb. 2021 um 23:37 Uhr schrieb Maksym Portianoi
> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> No, cat won't solve my issue
>
> Then your command line most likely will not work either,
> independent from "lambda". The concat protocol works
> exactly as cat.

Most likely, you need to look at either the concat demuxer

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#concat-1

or the concat filter

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#concat-3

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

Looking at your original post, I would suggest you get a working ffmpeg
command before trying to stuff it into some pipeline.

Leo