ffmpeg and .mpa extension

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ffmpeg and .mpa extension

T o n g
Hi,

I need to pick a neutral extension for my audio files for my script, so I
picked .mpa. This practice make it easier for me to use a general mplex
function in my script. However, ffmpeg is unable to cope with it:

 $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec ac3 -ac 2 -ar 48000 -ab 128k -f ac3 -y 'test.vob.ac3.mpa'

 $ time mplex -f 8 -o "test"-0.mpg "test-".m?v test.vob.ac3.mpa
    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28 17:50:54 $)
    INFO: [mplex] File test-.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
    INFO: [mplex] File test.vob.ac3.mpa looks like an AC3 Audio stream.
    INFO: [mplex] Video stream 0: profile 8 selected - ignoring non-standard options!

This works. However,

Same method, if the acodec changes to mp2, it breaks:

 $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec mp2 -ab 96k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -f mp2 -y 'test.vob.mp2.mpa'

 $ time mplex -f 8 -o "test"-0.mpg "test-".m?v 'test.vob.mp2.mpa'
    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28 17:50:54 $)
    INFO: [mplex] File test-.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
 **ERROR: [mplex] File test.vob.mp2.mpa unrecogniseable!
 **ERROR: [mplex] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.

Slightly change the line above, giving the extension .ac3, ffmpeg is able to
proceed.  I.e., the following works fine for mplex:

 $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec mp2 -ab 96k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -y test-.1.ac3

My ffmpeg is a bit dated,

  built on Jul 19 2007 10:55:35, gcc: 4.1.3 20070629 (prerelease) (Debian
  4.1.2-13)

but I believe it behaves the same in the latest version. I hope it can be
fixed in newer version.

PS. I need a neutral extension so that the general mplex function in my
script can process audio files no matter they are .ac3, .mp2 or mp3
files.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ffmpeg and .mpa extension

Hervé-4

Le 13 févr. 08 à 00:59, T o n g a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I need to pick a neutral extension for my audio files for my script,

.mpa = .mp2 so it's not a neutral extension
( but .toto is a neutral extension :-)))

> so I
> picked .mpa. This practice make it easier for me to use a general  
> mplex
> function in my script. However, ffmpeg is unable to cope with it:
>
> $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec ac3 -ac 2 -ar 48000 -ab 128k -
> f ac3 -y 'test.vob.ac3.mpa'
>
> $ time mplex -f 8 -o "test"-0.mpg "test-".m?v test.vob.ac3.mpa
>    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28  
> 17:50:54 $)
>    INFO: [mplex] File test-.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
>    INFO: [mplex] File test.vob.ac3.mpa looks like an AC3 Audio stream.
>    INFO: [mplex] Video stream 0: profile 8 selected - ignoring non-
> standard options!
>
> This works. However,
>
> Same method, if the acodec changes to mp2, it breaks:
>
> $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec mp2 -ab 96k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -f  
> mp2 -y 'test.vob.mp2.mpa'
>
> $ time mplex -f 8 -o "test"-0.mpg "test-".m?v 'test.vob.mp2.mpa'
>    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28  
> 17:50:54 $)
>    INFO: [mplex] File test-.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
> **ERROR: [mplex] File test.vob.mp2.mpa unrecogniseable!
> **ERROR: [mplex] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.
>
> Slightly change the line above, giving the extension .ac3, ffmpeg is  
> able to
> proceed.  I.e., the following works fine for mplex:
>
> $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec mp2 -ab 96k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -y  
> test-.1.ac3
>
> My ffmpeg is a bit dated,


update

mplex use the tool "file" to recognize the ... file :-)
if the mp2 is not tagged as mp2, it failed to mux it
(during some time, all mp2 files from ffmpeg were tagged as mp3)

bye

Hervé
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ffmpeg and .mpa extension

Tripp-2


Hervé <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 13 févr. 08 à 00:59, T o n g a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I need to pick a neutral extension for my audio files for my script,

-.mpa = .mp2 so it's not a neutral extension
-( but .toto is a neutral extension :-)))

> so I
> picked .mpa. This practice make it easier for me to use a general  
> mplex
> function in my script. However, ffmpeg is unable to cope with it:
>
> $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec ac3 -ac 2 -ar 48000 -ab 128k -
> f ac3 -y 'test.vob.ac3.mpa'
>
> $ time mplex -f 8 -o "test"-0.mpg "test-".m?v test.vob.ac3.mpa
>    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28  
> 17:50:54 $)
>    INFO: [mplex] File test-.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
>    INFO: [mplex] File test.vob.ac3.mpa looks like an AC3 Audio stream.
>    INFO: [mplex] Video stream 0: profile 8 selected - ignoring non-
> standard options!
>
> This works. However,
>
> Same method, if the acodec changes to mp2, it breaks:
>
> $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec mp2 -ab 96k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -f  
> mp2 -y 'test.vob.mp2.mpa'
>
> $ time mplex -f 8 -o "test"-0.mpg "test-".m?v 'test.vob.mp2.mpa'
>    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28  
> 17:50:54 $)
>    INFO: [mplex] File test-.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
> **ERROR: [mplex] File test.vob.mp2.mpa unrecogniseable!
> **ERROR: [mplex] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.
>
> Slightly change the line above, giving the extension .ac3, ffmpeg is  
> able to
> proceed.  I.e., the following works fine for mplex:
>
> $ nice ffmpeg -i test.vob -vn -acodec mp2 -ab 96k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -y  
> test-.1.ac3
>
> My ffmpeg is a bit dated,


-update


indeed!


-mplex use the tool "file" to recognize the ... file :-)
-if the mp2 is not tagged as mp2, it failed to mux it
-(during some time, all mp2 files from ffmpeg were tagged as mp3)

-bye

-Hervé
_______________________________________________

not since r9924


tripp
       
---------------------------------
Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ffmpeg and .mpa extension

T o n g
In reply to this post by Hervé-4
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:48:21 +0100, Hervé wrote:

>> My ffmpeg is a bit dated,
>
>
> update
>
> mplex use the tool "file" to recognize the ... file :-)
> if the mp2 is not tagged as mp2, it failed to mux it
> (during some time, all mp2 files from ffmpeg were tagged as mp3)

Thanks for the insight. Yes, that seems to be the case:

 $ file test-.0.mpa
 test-.0.mpa: MP3 file with ID3 version 2.4.0 tag

 $ ffmpeg -i test-.0.mpa
 Input #0, mp3, from 'test-.0.mpa':
   Duration: 00:28:22.8, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 95 kb/s
   Stream #0.0: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 96 kb/s

So, has the bug been fixed in ffmpeg? Anybody can tell me roughly around
when was the bug been fixed?

A side question, I heard rumors saying that mpeg decoding and encoding are
dropped from ffmpeg. Is it just dropped in Debian, or in ffmpeg altogether?
Is it before the mp2 tagging bug fixing?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/

_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ffmpeg and .mpa extension

Michel Bardiaux-2
T o n g wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:48:21 +0100, Hervé wrote:
>
>>> My ffmpeg is a bit dated,
>>
>> update
>>
>> mplex use the tool "file" to recognize the ... file :-)
>> if the mp2 is not tagged as mp2, it failed to mux it
>> (during some time, all mp2 files from ffmpeg were tagged as mp3)
>
> Thanks for the insight. Yes, that seems to be the case:
>
>  $ file test-.0.mpa
>  test-.0.mpa: MP3 file with ID3 version 2.4.0 tag
>
>  $ ffmpeg -i test-.0.mpa
>  Input #0, mp3, from 'test-.0.mpa':
>    Duration: 00:28:22.8, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 95 kb/s
>    Stream #0.0: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 96 kb/s
>
> So, has the bug been fixed in ffmpeg? Anybody can tell me roughly around
> when was the bug been fixed?

Now you have removed so much context that what you mean by "the bug"
cant be known without going back to older messages!

>
> A side question, I heard rumors saying that mpeg decoding and encoding are
> dropped from ffmpeg. Is it just dropped in Debian, or in ffmpeg altogether?
> Is it before the mp2 tagging bug fixing?

References to where you saw the "rumors" would be welcome.

>
> Thanks
>


--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
T +32 [0] 2 790 29 41
F +32 [0] 2 790 29 02
E mailto:[hidden email]

Mediaxim NV/SA
Vorstlaan 191 Boulevard du Souverain
Brussel 1160 Bruxelles
http://www.mediaxim.com/
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user