extract subtiles

d r-5
does any body know how to extract subtitles from a dvd or a vob file
with ffmpeg?

I could get fine working .sub and .idx files via mencoder command:
mencoder dvd://1 -vobsubout subtitle -vobsuboutindex 0 -vobsuboutid it
-sid 10 -nosound -ovc copy -o 1.avi
but i get a huge temporary file (1.avi) witch is the entire video
stream.

I hope that ffmpeg could handle subtitle extraction without video and
audio.

Any hint?

Daniele

Re: extract subtiles

Marc Mason-2
dr wrote:

> Does anybody know how to extract subtitles from a dvd or a vob file
> with ffmpeg?

This might work.
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC13

ffmpeg -i file.mov -an -vn -sbsf mov2textsub -scodec copy -f rawvideo
sub.txt

--
Regards.

Re: extract subtiles

Stefano Sabatini
On date Friday 2009-01-09 14:33:45 +0100, Marc Mason encoded:

> dr wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know how to extract subtitles from a dvd or a vob file
> > with ffmpeg?
>
> This might work.
> http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC13
>
> ffmpeg -i file.mov -an -vn -sbsf mov2textsub -scodec copy -f rawvideo
> sub.txt

For those interested, AVSubtitle API is going through a major rework
in these days, patches for implementing subtitle codecs is welcome.

Regards.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #25
If you can't achieve a result with a particular command, always post

Re: extract subtiles

Nicolas George-2
Hi.

Le decadi 20 nivôse, an CCXVII, Stefano Sabatini a écrit :
> For those interested, AVSubtitle API is going through a major rework
> in these days, patches for implementing subtitle codecs is welcome.

Does it involve adding a pix_fmt field to the AVSubtitleRect structure? If
not, may I suggest to consider it? Right now, AVSubtitleRect seems to be
designed to hold 4-colors DVD subtitles and similar formats, but full
RGBA-overlays may be useful sometimes.

  Nicolas George