exposure filter

Michael Koch
Hello,

in the new "exposure" filter it's unclear in which order the operations
are applied. First exposure, then black level? Or first black level,
then exposure? Does the filter have a limiter if the result is out of
range? These infos should be added to the documentation.

Michael

Re: exposure filter

Paul B Mahol
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 8:14 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in the new "exposure" filter it's unclear in which order the operations
> are applied. First exposure, then black level? Or first black level,
> then exposure? Does the filter have a limiter if the result is out of
> range? These infos should be added to the documentation.

At same time. Doubt that internal stuff is interesting to average joe,
filter works with floats only. Limiter is not needed.

> Michael

Re: exposure filter

Michael Koch
Am 10.02.2021 um 20:20 schrieb Paul B Mahol:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 8:14 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the new "exposure" filter it's unclear in which order the operations
>> are applied. First exposure, then black level? Or first black level,
>> then exposure? Does the filter have a limiter if the result is out of
>> range? These infos should be added to the documentation.
>>

> At same time. Doubt that internal stuff is interesting to average joe,
> filter works with floats only. Limiter is not needed.

You can't multiply and add "at the same time". Either you first add and
then multiply, or you first multiply and then add. That gives two
different results. The order is important.

Michael

Re: exposure filter

Paul B Mahol
Why you do not start fixing your pdf file, it have many obsolete and even
false statements.

Re: exposure filter

Paul B Mahol
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:17 PM Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why you do not start fixing your pdf file, it have many obsolete and even
> false statements.

Also to add to that, you already have limiter filter if you need to limit
something, no point in doing it in this filter.

It is easy and dangerous to criticize something with completely lack of
knowledge.

Re: exposure filter

Michael Koch
Am 10.02.2021 um 23:17 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> Why you do not start fixing your pdf file, it have many obsolete and even
> false statements.

What's wrong and how can it be improved?

Michael

Re: exposure filter

Michael Koch
Am 10.02.2021 um 23:28 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:17 PM Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why you do not start fixing your pdf file, it have many obsolete and even
>> false statements.
>>
> Also to add to that, you already have limiter filter if you need to limit
> something, no point in doing it in this filter.

Yes it's right that the limiter is easy to use after a filter. But for
the user it's important to know which filters have a built-in limiter
and which filters don't have it. This should be documented for each filter.

Michael

Re: exposure filter

Paul B Mahol
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:10 AM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 10.02.2021 um 23:28 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:17 PM Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Why you do not start fixing your pdf file, it have many obsolete and
> even
> >> false statements.
> >>
> > Also to add to that, you already have limiter filter if you need to limit
> > something, no point in doing it in this filter.
>
> Yes it's right that the limiter is easy to use after a filter. But for
> the user it's important to know which filters have a built-in limiter
> and which filters don't have it. This should be documented for each filter.

Nope. You clearly have big knowledge gap and have no authority to write
what should be documented.

> Michael

Re: exposure filter

Paul B Mahol
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:51 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 10.02.2021 um 23:17 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> > Why you do not start fixing your pdf file, it have many obsolete and even
> > false statements.
>
> What's wrong and how can it be improved?

Almost everything is wrong about it.

One single example, acrossover filter have examples and you claim it does
not.

Michael

Re: exposure filter

Paul B Mahol
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:43 AM Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:51 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 10.02.2021 um 23:17 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
>> > Why you do not start fixing your pdf file, it have many obsolete and
>> even
>> > false statements.
>>
>> What's wrong and how can it be improved?
>>

> Almost everything is wrong about it.
>
> One single example, acrossover filter have examples and you claim it does
> not.

Also, you looks to have sole authority to call shufflepixels filter
useless, and couple others.

Re: exposure filter

Michael Koch
Am 11.02.2021 um 00:43 schrieb Paul B Mahol:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:51 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 10.02.2021 um 23:17 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
>>> Why you do not start fixing your pdf file, it have many obsolete and even
>>> false statements.
>> What's wrong and how can it be improved?
>>

> Almost everything is wrong about it.
>
> One single example, acrossover filter have examples and you claim it does
> not.

In this case you are right, acrossover does now have examples. I've just
changed it in my PDF.

Michael

Re: exposure filter

Michael Koch
Am 11.02.2021 um 00:50 schrieb Paul B Mahol:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:43 AM Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:51 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> even
>>> What's wrong and how can it be improved?
>>>

>> Almost everything is wrong about it.
>>
>> One single example, acrossover filter have examples and you claim it does
>> not.
>>
> Also, you looks to have sole authority to call shufflepixels filter
> useless, and couple others.

Paul is referring to chapter 2.149 "FFmpeg: Suggestions for improvement"
in my book
http://www.astro-electronic.de/FFmpeg_Book.pdf

It's possible that some of the suggestions have already been realized in
the meantime, but I may have overlooked them. In such cases please just
let me know, and I'll be happy to change that in my document.

Michael

Re: exposure filter

Paul B Mahol
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 8:15 AM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 11.02.2021 um 00:50 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:43 AM Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:51 PM Michael Koch <
> [hidden email]>

> >> Almost everything is wrong about it.
> >>
> >> One single example, acrossover filter have examples and you claim it
> does
> >> not.
> >>
> > Also, you looks to have sole authority to call shufflepixels filter
> > useless, and couple others.
>
> Paul is referring to chapter 2.149 "FFmpeg: Suggestions for improvement"
> in my book
> http://www.astro-electronic.de/FFmpeg_Book.pdf
>
> It's possible that some of the suggestions have already been realized in
> the meantime, but I may have overlooked them. In such cases please just
> let me know, and I'll be happy to change that in my document.

I do not have time for consuming review of your text dump.
Hire some professional writers instead.

I do not have enough time to develop code, review patches, answer user
questions and also to fight some text that is not updated at all.