converting raw stills to "raw" video

shawny
I am trying to find out if it is possible using ffmpeg to convert raw stills
into "raw" or log video in order to be gradable as video.  This is to
incorporate timelapse photography into my video projects.  I know this can
be done using Adobe After Effects but I am trying to find a post path that
uses Linux and open source software.
Has anyone done this or is anyone able to tell me one way or another whether
it is currently possible with ffmpeg?

--
Sent from: http://ffmpeg-users.933282.n4.nabble.com/

Re: converting raw stills to "raw" video

Kieran O Leary
On Tue 16 Feb 2021 at 10:52, shawny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to find out if it is possible using ffmpeg to convert raw
> stills
> into "raw" or log video in order to be gradable as video.  This is to
> incorporate timelapse photography into my video projects.  I know this can
> be done using Adobe After Effects but I am trying to find a post path that
> uses Linux and open source software.

What format are your raw stills? They may have to be converted via
something like graphicsmagick/dcraw. Also what output format are you
looking for? Raw and log is a bit vague in terms of ffmpeg encoding options.

Generally, ffmpeg is really good at turning image sequences that it can
decode into video files of many formats.

Best,

Kieran

Re: converting raw stills to "raw" video

Michael Koch
Am 16.02.2021 um 11:52 schrieb shawny:
> I am trying to find out if it is possible using ffmpeg to convert raw stills
> into "raw" or log video in order to be gradable as video.  This is to
> incorporate timelapse photography into my video projects.  I know this can
> be done using Adobe After Effects but I am trying to find a post path that
> uses Linux and open source software.
> Has anyone done this or is anyone able to tell me one way or another whether
> it is currently possible with ffmpeg?

A possible path with open source software is to use "Gimp" with
"Darktable" plugin to convert the raw images to 16-bit PNG. Then you can
use FFmpeg to combine these images to a video.

Michael

Re: converting raw stills to "raw" video

Paul B Mahol
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:28 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 16.02.2021 um 11:52 schrieb shawny:
> > I am trying to find out if it is possible using ffmpeg to convert raw
> stills
> > into "raw" or log video in order to be gradable as video.  This is to
> > incorporate timelapse photography into my video projects.  I know this
> can
> > be done using Adobe After Effects but I am trying to find a post path
> that
> > uses Linux and open source software.
> > Has anyone done this or is anyone able to tell me one way or another
> whether
> > it is currently possible with ffmpeg?
>
> A possible path with open source software is to use "Gimp" with
> "Darktable" plugin to convert the raw images to 16-bit PNG. Then you can
> use FFmpeg to combine these images to a video.

Stop spreading lies.

Am 16.02.2021 um 21:34 schrieb Paul B Mahol:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:28 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 16.02.2021 um 11:52 schrieb shawny:
>>> I am trying to find out if it is possible using ffmpeg to convert raw
>> stills
>>> into "raw" or log video in order to be gradable as video.  This is to
>>> incorporate timelapse photography into my video projects.  I know this
>> can
>>> be done using Adobe After Effects but I am trying to find a post path
>> that
>>> uses Linux and open source software.
>>> Has anyone done this or is anyone able to tell me one way or another
>> whether
>>> it is currently possible with ffmpeg?
>> A possible path with open source software is to use "Gimp" with
>> "Darktable" plugin to convert the raw images to 16-bit PNG. Then you can
>> use FFmpeg to combine these images to a video.
>>
> Stop spreading lies.

I don't know what's wrong with my answer. Please explain.

Michael

Re: converting raw stills to "raw" video

Paul B Mahol
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:47 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 16.02.2021 um 21:34 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> > On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:28 PM Michael Koch <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> >> stills
> >> can
> >> that
> >> whether
> >> A possible path with open source software is to use "Gimp" with
> >> "Darktable" plugin to convert the raw images to 16-bit PNG. Then you can
> >> use FFmpeg to combine these images to a video.
> >>
> > Stop spreading lies.
>
> I don't know what's wrong with my answer. Please explain.

Decoder works fine, it is just swscale does not support right colorspace
conversion.

Use zscale filter instead. Make sure that you set correct parameters,
parameters depends
on input DNG file.

Am 16.02.2021 um 23:52 schrieb Paul B Mahol:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:47 PM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 16.02.2021 um 21:34 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
>>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:28 PM Michael Koch <
>> [hidden email]>

>>> Stop spreading lies.
>> I don't know what's wrong with my answer. Please explain.
>>
> Decoder works fine, it is just swscale does not support right colorspace
> conversion.
>
> Use zscale filter instead. Make sure that you set correct parameters,
> parameters depends
> on input DNG file.

The question wasn't about DNG files. It was about raw files in general.
My answer was correct.

Michael

Re: converting raw stills to "raw" video

Paul B Mahol
On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:01 AM Michael Koch <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 16.02.2021 um 23:52 schrieb Paul B Mahol:
> > On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:47 PM Michael Koch <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> >> [hidden email]>

> this
> can

> >> I don't know what's wrong with my answer. Please explain.
> >>
> > Decoder works fine, it is just swscale does not support right colorspace
> > conversion.
> >
> > Use zscale filter instead. Make sure that you set correct parameters,
> > parameters depends
> > on input DNG file.
>
> The question wasn't about DNG files. It was about raw files in general.
> My answer was correct.

No, it is misleading and incorrect. Also RAW is very broad subject.

Re: converting raw stills to "raw" video

shawny
In the case of my film, StormBoy, where I know the stills were converted (not
by me) they were Canon Raw format v2 CR2 files and Sony Raw format ARW files
and they were converted to ARRI LogC Wide Colour Gamut EI 800.  As I said
this was done on Adobe After Effects.  I was deliberately vague about the
video format in case someone had success with a different raw or log format
other than the ARRI.  I didn't want to limit the responses.
As for Michael's suggestion of using Darktable to preconvert the stills,
that is indeed a method that works and I have used it in the past.  The
limitations inherent in that path is that you necessarily make some grading
choices in the conversion from Raw stills to PNG and your video is less
flexible in the video grade than would be a log video.  The ideal would be
to do all your grading on the moving image as it is imperative to be able to
do dynamic grading particularly in the case of sunrise or sunset time lapse
shots.
Thanks for your responses so far and please forgive me if my technical speak
is imprecise.  I am a film maker dabbling in FOSS to improve my flexibility.
Cheers

--
Sent from: http://ffmpeg-users.933282.n4.nabble.com/