Script to time all encoders on a given machine?

Script to time all encoders on a given machine?

Steven Kan
I know that ffmpeg -encoders will return all the encoders compiled into a given build, but has anyone written a script to actually test each of them and time the results?

Something like:

for each $thisencoder in “ffmpeg -encoders”
        time ffmpeg -i testfile.mp4 -vcodec $thisencoder out.mp4 (or whatever extension is suitable) > results.txt
next $encoder

with error checking, etc.

Or would this not be useful because y’all already know what works on your machine?

Re: Script to time all encoders on a given machine?

Moritz Barsnick
On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 14:15:34 -0800, Steven Kan wrote:
> for each $thisencoder in “ffmpeg -encoders”
> time ffmpeg -i testfile.mp4 -vcodec $thisencoder out.mp4 (or whatever extension is suitable) > results.txt
> next $encoder
>
> with error checking, etc.
>
> Or would this not be useful because y’all already know what works on your machine?

What would the results be useful for? Do you want to test whether they
work correctly?

ffmpeg has a regression testing quite called "fate", which is run very
frequently (but does not cover external libraries).

Cheers,
Moritz