Resize and Interlace doesnt work

Mathias Dietz (mathiasdietz)
Hey Guys,

i want to creat a SD mpeg2 Interlaced File out of a XDCAM EX HD file.

When I try only "-flags +ilme+ildct" I have an Interlaced output, but in 1920*1080
When I do -s 720x576 also, I always have an progressive output.

It isn't possible for me to create a resized interlaced output.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot!

Mathias

Re: Resize and Interlace doesnt work

Peter-381
Mathias Dietz (mathiasdietz) wrote:

> It isn't possible for me to create a resized interlaced output.

I discovered a while ago that FFmpeg, even with all its abilities, does not have
a rescaler which is able to cope with interlacing. I was forced to switch to
MEncoder.

I think the issue is that interlacing is regarded as outdated, and so most of
the people here, when faced with interlaced content, start by deinterlacing it.
Since most people will be watching their video on LCD or Plasma one way or
another, the content will be deinterlaced by the time it reaches your
eyeballs... so there seems some merit to this approach. However, it seems that
you're trying to make DVD content from a HD source, and this is also a task that
I have to do myself. Perhaps we could share our experiences with MEncoder in
this respect? I will probably post again on this, but I will do it in the
MEncoder list.

--
Peter

Re: Resize and Interlace doesnt work

Dave Bevan
Hi.

Whilst it may be that, for a number of FFmpeg users, interlaced video handling is not a top priority, for those of us who use FFmpeg, and in particular, FFmbc, interlaced support is fundamental to our workflows.

Perhaps there should be some 'joining of the best of the best' to bring and equalise premier-quality scaling of interlaced media handling into both FFmpeg and MEncoder?

--Dave.

Mathias Dietz (mathiasdietz) wrote:

> It isn't possible for me to create a resized interlaced output.

I discovered a while ago that FFmpeg, even with all its abilities, does not have
a rescaler which is able to cope with interlacing. I was forced to switch to
MEncoder.

I think the issue is that interlacing is regarded as outdated, and so most of
the people here, when faced with interlaced content, start by deinterlacing it.
Since most people will be watching their video on LCD or Plasma one way or
another, the content will be deinterlaced by the time it reaches your
eyeballs... so there seems some merit to this approach. However, it seems that
you're trying to make DVD content from a HD source, and this is also a task that
I have to do myself. Perhaps we could share our experiences with MEncoder in
this respect? I will probably post again on this, but I will do it in the
MEncoder list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

winmail.dat (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Resize and Interlace doesnt work

Stefano Sabatini
On date Sunday 2010-07-11 13:01:23 +0100, Dave Bevan encoded:

> Hi.
>
> Whilst it may be that, for a number of FFmpeg users, interlaced
> video handling is not a top priority, for those of us who use
> FFmpeg, and in particular, FFmbc, interlaced support is fundamental
> to our workflows.
>
> Perhaps there should be some 'joining of the best of the best' to
> bring and equalise premier-quality scaling of interlaced media
> handling into both FFmpeg and MEncoder?

We are working to a yadif port to libavfilter, see:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/109749/

then we'll drop the ffmpeg.c current deinterlacer.
Patches/support/donations are as always welcome.

Regards.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #5
FFmpeg documentation:

Re: Resize and Interlace doesnt work

Mathias Dietz (mathiasdietz)
Hey Stefano,

thanks for your post.

I am not a coding expert...

Can you estimate when it will be ready for use?

Thanks a lot, Mathias

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
On date Sunday 2010-07-11 13:01:23 +0100, Dave Bevan encoded:

> Hi.
>
> Whilst it may be that, for a number of FFmpeg users, interlaced
> video handling is not a top priority, for those of us who use
> FFmpeg, and in particular, FFmbc, interlaced support is fundamental
> to our workflows.
>
> Perhaps there should be some 'joining of the best of the best' to
> bring and equalise premier-quality scaling of interlaced media
> handling into both FFmpeg and MEncoder?

We are working to a yadif port to libavfilter, see:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/109749/

then we'll drop the ffmpeg.c current deinterlacer.
Patches/support/donations are as always welcome.

Regards.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #5
FFmpeg documentation:
http://www.ffmpeg.org/documentation.html

Re: yadif in ffmpeg (was - Resize and Interlace doesnt work)

Igor-70
> We are working to a yadif port to libavfilter, see:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/109749/
>
> then we'll drop the ffmpeg.c current deinterlacer.
> Patches/support/donations are as always welcome.

I tried to install the second patch from Baptist and had some rejects, that's why I couldn't test yadif
I'm waiting for the merge into the trunk.

My question - will yadif support the conversation of 50 fields per second video to 50 frame per second video ?

Goga

Re: yadif in ffmpeg (was - Resize and Interlace doesnt work)

Dave Bevan
Hi.

Re the YADIF discussion, does YADIF provide proper interlace-aware
scaling (for example, properly handling 1080i to 576i downscaling)?

I'm conscious of the fact that YADIF is "Yet Another De-Interlace
Filter" and doesn't quite, unless I'm wrong, seem the answer to my
original question - that of interlace-aware scaling?

I also have a question re frame-rate conversion. When converting from a
non-European std (e.g. 29.97fps) to PAL (25fps), how is inter-frame
interpolation reduction handled - is it simply drop-frame, or more
sophisticated methods such as motion interpolation across n frames?

Rgds,
--Dave.

>> We are working to a yadif port to libavfilter, see:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/109749/
>>
>> then we'll drop the ffmpeg.c current deinterlacer.
>> Patches/support/donations are as always welcome.

>I tried to install the second patch from Baptist and had some rejects,
that's why I couldn't test yadif I'm waiting for the merge into the
trunk.
>My question - will yadif support the conversation of 50 fields per
second video to 50 frame per second video ?
>Goga

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Re: yadif in ffmpeg (was - Resize and Interlace doesnt work)

Mark Himsley
On 12/07/2010 11:58, Dave Bevan wrote:

> Re the YADIF discussion, does YADIF provide proper interlace-aware
> scaling (for example, properly handling 1080i to 576i downscaling)?

I think the point of yadif in this instance would be to convert 1080i25
to 1080p50. FFmpeg can then do a frame based scale down to 576p50
without the interlace worry. Then you could return to 576i25 using
something like a tinterlace mode 4 (interleave even lines from even
frames with odd lines from odd frames).

Although I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got the wrong end of
the stick ;-)

> I also have a question re frame-rate conversion. When converting from a
> non-European std (e.g. 29.97fps) to PAL (25fps), how is inter-frame
> interpolation reduction handled - is it simply drop-frame, or more
> sophisticated methods such as motion interpolation across n frames?

I'm sure that at the moment there is no frame rate interpolation
available in ffmpeg - all frame rate changes are done by dropping or
repeating frames.

--
Mark