Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

12

Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Thibeau
Yea I suppose I could just remove the art entirely and that works, but could ffmpeg get the art out of the songs? I wouldn’t know how to get them and out. But if it’s possible I might be able to just reattach them afterwards and see if the tag hasn’t gone or maybe edit while the image is separated.

> On 6 Feb 2021, at 00:56, MediaMouth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Feb 5, 2021, at 12:21 PM, MediaMouth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The obvious approach (targeting it as the first video track) didn't work:
>>> ffmpeg -y -i '29 My Girl.flac' -metadata:s:v:0 comment= '29 My GirlB.flac'
>>> ffprobe '29 My GirlB.flac'
>
> One possibility would be to simply remove the album art (you could save it externally beforehand).
> That will, in turn, get rid of the associated metadata "comment". I tested it.  It works.
> From what I understand ffmpeg (and for that matter Adobe) can't handle album art for .flac files.

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Paul B Mahol
Despite other incorrect information. FFmpeg can handle album art for .flac
file just fine.

It just can not alter metadata of attached art file IIRC.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 10:29 AM Thibeau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yea I suppose I could just remove the art entirely and that works, but
> could ffmpeg get the art out of the songs? I wouldn’t know how to get them
> and out. But if it’s possible I might be able to just reattach them
> afterwards and see if the tag hasn’t gone or maybe edit while the image is
> separated.
>
> > On 6 Feb 2021, at 00:56, MediaMouth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 5, 2021, at 12:21 PM, MediaMouth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> The obvious approach (targeting it as the first video track) didn't
> work:
> GirlB.flac'
> >
> > One possibility would be to simply remove the album art (you could save
> it externally beforehand).
> > That will, in turn, get rid of the associated metadata "comment". I
> tested it.  It works.
> > From what I understand ffmpeg (and for that matter Adobe) can't handle
> album art for .flac files.

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Thibeau
Interestingly I can split the cover art out using ffmpeg. But even after that the metadata on the image itself I can’t seem to find a way to edit it. Tried exiftools and everything. So might just be a weird tag value

Met vriendelijke groeten
Vercruyssen Thibeau

> On 6 Feb 2021, at 11:01, Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Despite other incorrect information. FFmpeg can handle album art for .flac
> file just fine.
>
> It just can not alter metadata of attached art file IIRC.
>
>> On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 10:29 AM Thibeau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Yea I suppose I could just remove the art entirely and that works, but
>> could ffmpeg get the art out of the songs? I wouldn’t know how to get them
>> and out. But if it’s possible I might be able to just reattach them
>> afterwards and see if the tag hasn’t gone or maybe edit while the image is
>> separated.

>> work:
>> GirlB.flac'
>>>
>>> One possibility would be to simply remove the album art (you could save
>> it externally beforehand).
>>> That will, in turn, get rid of the associated metadata "comment". I
>> tested it.  It works.
>>> From what I understand ffmpeg (and for that matter Adobe) can't handle
>> album art for .flac files.

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

MediaMouth

> On Feb 6, 2021, at 02:01, Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Despite other incorrect information. FFmpeg can handle album art for .flac
> file just fine.

Paul, thanks for the correction.
I was able to extract the art to a separate file and also remove the art, which in turn removed the associated metadata. (Thibeau, I'll send you those commands momentarily.  Paul may improve on it.  He knows this stuff far better)

Paul, are you saying FFmpeg can add album art to .flac files?  I seems possible do so with mp3 manipulating id3 info, but how to do so with .flac?    Thanks

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

MediaMouth
> On Feb 6, 2021, at 3:12 AM, Thibeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interestingly I can split the cover art out using ffmpeg. But even after that the metadata on the image itself I can’t seem to find a way to edit it. Tried exiftools and everything. So might just be a weird tag value

Thibeau, you may have already figured his much out...

This extracts the art:
> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -an -vcodec copy '29 My Girl.png'

This removes the art along with the associated metadata (comment=other)
> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -map 0 -map -0:v:0 -c copy '29 My Girl-NoArt.flac'

I'd be interested to know how to put the art back and if it's possible maybe assign metadata to that before or during that process.
If I'm understanding Paul, you can't edit the metadata on the art "stream" after the fact.

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Thibeau
I indeed figured out how to extract the cover art than remove it from the song.

I already know how to place it back too. The problem is I don’t know what the metadata comment tag is.
I can’t find it on the image after extracting with exiftools or any other tool for that matter. If I reattach the cover afterwards with ffmpeg, the metadata tag is still there.
I guess it must be stored somewhere, but I have no idea how to acces or change

P.S the commands I used to split/extract/... just came from stackoverflow answers, happy to send to commands here if you need them.

lOn Feb 6, 2021, at 07:44, Thibeau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I indeed figured out how to extract the cover art than remove it from the song.
>
> I already know how to place it back too. The problem is I don’t know what the metadata comment tag is.
> I can’t find it on the image after extracting with exiftools or any other tool for that matter.
I saw the same. It seems to be metadata associated with that video stream.

> If I reattach the cover afterwards with ffmpeg, the metadata tag is still there.
Ugh.  Always coming back as "comment=other"?

> I guess it must be stored somewhere, but I have no idea how to acces or change
I'm hoping one of the FFmpeg devs can shed some light on this

> P.S the commands I used to split/extract/... just came from stackoverflow answers, happy to send to commands here if you need them.
That would be great.  Thanks.  I haven't found one that works for .flac  yet.

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Thibeau
>Ugh.  Always coming back as "comment=other"?
Yea, but I'm not sure the value of tag is other and not just a value ffmpeg
doesn't  recognise and theirfor defaults to showing Other.

> I'm hoping one of the FFmpeg devs can shed some light on this
Same, I'm a real noob at ffmpeg. Trying to learn it but it's really hard
with the limited time I have to do it.

>That would be great.  Thanks.  I haven't found one that works for .flac
yet.
Disclaimer the commands are all for the file I uploaded if it's another
file don't forget to rename it in the commands.

> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -an -vcodec copy '29 My Girl.png'

This removes the art along with the associated metadata (comment=other)
> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -map 0 -map -0:v:0 -c copy '29 My
Girl-NoArt.flac'

Reattach the image:
ffmpeg -i 29\ My\ Girl-NoArt.flac -i 29\ My\ Girl.png -map 1 -map 0 -c copy
-disposition:0 attached_pic out.flac (refrence:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54717175/how-do-i-add-a-custom-thumbnail-to-a-mp4-file-using-ffmpeg
)

Hope this helps!

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 at 16:34, MediaMouth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> lOn Feb 6, 2021, at 07:44, Thibeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I indeed figured out how to extract the cover art than remove it from
> the song.
> >
> > I already know how to place it back too. The problem is I don’t know
> what the metadata comment tag is.
> > I can’t find it on the image after extracting with exiftools or any
> other tool for that matter.
> I saw the same. It seems to be metadata associated with that video stream.
>

> > If I reattach the cover afterwards with ffmpeg, the metadata tag is
> still there.
> Ugh.  Always coming back as "comment=other"?
>
> > I guess it must be stored somewhere, but I have no idea how to acces or
> change
> I'm hoping one of the FFmpeg devs can shed some light on this
>

> > P.S the commands I used to split/extract/... just came from
> stackoverflow answers, happy to send to commands here if you need them.
> That would be great.  Thanks.  I haven't found one that works for .flac
> yet.

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Paul B Mahol
On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Harvey Pikelberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On Feb 6, 2021, at 02:01, Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Despite other incorrect information. FFmpeg can handle album art for
> .flac
> > file just fine.
>
> Paul, thanks for the correction.
> I was able to extract the art to a separate file and also remove the art,
> which in turn removed the associated metadata. (Thibeau, I'll send you
> those commands momentarily.  Paul may improve on it.  He knows this stuff
> far better)
>
> Paul, are you saying FFmpeg can add album art to .flac files?  I seems
> possible do so with mp3 manipulating id3 info, but how to do so with
> .flac?    Thanks

I take random flac with cover art and converted it to flac with ffmpeg,
cover art is kept.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 12:12 AM Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Harvey Pikelberger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> > On Feb 6, 2021, at 02:01, Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Despite other incorrect information. FFmpeg can handle album art for
>> .flac
>> > file just fine.
>>
>> Paul, thanks for the correction.
>> I was able to extract the art to a separate file and also remove the art,
>> which in turn removed the associated metadata. (Thibeau, I'll send you
>> those commands momentarily.  Paul may improve on it.  He knows this stuff
>> far better)
>>
>> Paul, are you saying FFmpeg can add album art to .flac files?  I seems
>> possible do so with mp3 manipulating id3 info, but how to do so with
>> .flac?    Thanks
>>

> I take random flac with cover art and converted it to flac with ffmpeg,
> cover art is kept.

Also, note that I use git version, not any release version but git version.

On Feb 6, 2021, at 15:13, Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I take random flac with cover art and converted it to flac with ffmpeg,
> cover art is kept.

Is there any way at all to get control over the per stream metadata -- specifically the 1st video stream which seems to be the one holding the art?

And would you know why it contains, by default, the key/value pair "comment:Other"?

Thanks.

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Paul B Mahol
Here is full command:

ffmpeg -i COVER.png -i AUDIO.flac -map:v 0 -disposition:v:0 attached_pic
-map:a 1 FINAL.flac

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 12:23 AM MediaMouth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2021, at 15:13, Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I take random flac with cover art and converted it to flac with ffmpeg,
> > cover art is kept.
>
> Is there any way at all to get control over the per stream metadata --
> specifically the 1st video stream which seems to be the one holding the art?
>
> And would you know why it contains, by default, the key/value pair
> "comment:Other"?

Can you share file?

ffmpeg -i INPUT.png -i AUDIO.flac -map:v 0 -metadata comment=Other
-disposition:v:0 attached_pic -map:a 1 -metadata album=test FINAL.flac

Note that metadata order is important. The command above adds comment
metadata to video stream.

> Thanks.

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Thibeau

Here’s the link I previously already shared.
https://ufile.io/bgunj34e (link is only valid for 30 days sadly)

Yes.  The O.P. made it available here: https://ufile.io/bgunj34e <https://ufile.io/bgunj34e>

> ffmpeg -i INPUT.png -i AUDIO.flac -map:v 0 -metadata comment=Other
> -disposition:v:0 attached_pic -map:a 1 -metadata album=test FINAL.flac
>
> Note that metadata order is important. The command above adds comment
> metadata to video stream.

Thanks for posting.  Clear and helpful.  Unfortunately, I got an error
Here are the steps I did...

ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -an -vcodec copy '29 My Girl.png'; #Extract the album art to an external file.
ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -map 0 -map -0:v:0 -c copy '29 My Girl-NoArt.flac'; #Remove the album art, save results to a new .flac file.
ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl-NoArt.flac' -i '29 My Girl.png' -map:v 0 -metadata comment=SomethingOtherThanOther -disposition:v:0 attached_pic -map:a 1 -metadata comment= '29 My Girl-ReArt.flac'; #Add the album art back using the metadata commands as you suggest, and store to yet another .flac file.
Error received:  [swscaler @ 0x7f9648038000] deprecated pixel format used, make sure you did set range correctly

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Thibeau
Can second I get this message to but ffmpeg still continues. The end file however doesn’t set the metadata to the image it seems. I made sure to respect the order.
Be sure to mention if it’s a mistake on my end.
Maybe if you run with the file it works and it’s indeed my fault.
Thanks already to everyone who helped!
You guys and girls are awesome!

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 12:59 AM MediaMouth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2021, at 3:32 PM, Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Can you share file?
> Yes.  The O.P. made it available here: https://ufile.io/bgunj34e <
> https://ufile.io/bgunj34e>
>

> > ffmpeg -i INPUT.png -i AUDIO.flac -map:v 0 -metadata comment=Other
> > -disposition:v:0 attached_pic -map:a 1 -metadata album=test FINAL.flac
> >
> > Note that metadata order is important. The command above adds comment
> > metadata to video stream.
>
> Thanks for posting.  Clear and helpful.  Unfortunately, I got an error
> Here are the steps I did...

Your steps are all invalid. Why you put first audio then video?
My command only works with first video stream and after that audio stream.
In ffmpeg every item position matters.

> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -an -vcodec copy '29 My Girl.png'; #Extract
> the album art to an external file.
> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -map 0 -map -0:v:0 -c copy '29 My
> Girl-NoArt.flac'; #Remove the album art, save results to a new .flac file.
> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl-NoArt.flac' -i '29 My Girl.png' -map:v 0 -metadata
> comment=SomethingOtherThanOther -disposition:v:0 attached_pic -map:a 1
> -metadata comment= '29 My Girl-ReArt.flac'; #Add the album art back using
> the metadata commands as you suggest, and store to yet another .flac file.
> Error received:  [swscaler @ 0x7f9648038000] deprecated pixel format used,
> make sure you did set range correctly

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Thibeau
I did that command you gave with video and than audio in that order checked it three times.
The metadata went to the audio not the video.
Feel free to test it yourself with the provided file.
Please let me know if it was my mistake and the command is correct when you execute it.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 11:19 AM Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 12:59 AM MediaMouth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 6, 2021, at 3:32 PM, Paul B Mahol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Can you share file?
>> Yes.  The O.P. made it available here: https://ufile.io/bgunj34e <
>> https://ufile.io/bgunj34e>
>>

>> > ffmpeg -i INPUT.png -i AUDIO.flac -map:v 0 -metadata comment=Other
>> > -disposition:v:0 attached_pic -map:a 1 -metadata album=test FINAL.flac
>> >
>> > Note that metadata order is important. The command above adds comment
>> > metadata to video stream.
>>
>> Thanks for posting.  Clear and helpful.  Unfortunately, I got an error
>> Here are the steps I did...
>>

> Your steps are all invalid. Why you put first audio then video?
> My command only works with first video stream and after that audio stream.
> In ffmpeg every item position matters.

Also you can not remove description of attached picture at all. "Other" is
just default value if no other valid values are set.
You can change value to "Cover (front)" if you like, please read 4.14
section of https://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames

So command to change Other to Cover is:
ffmpeg -i INPUT.flac -c:v png -disposition:v:1 attached_pic -metadata:s:v:0
comment="Cover (front)" OUTPUT.flac

>> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -an -vcodec copy '29 My Girl.png'; #Extract
>> the album art to an external file.
>> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl.flac' -map 0 -map -0:v:0 -c copy '29 My
>> Girl-NoArt.flac'; #Remove the album art, save results to a new .flac file.
>> ffmpeg -i '29 My Girl-NoArt.flac' -i '29 My Girl.png' -map:v 0 -metadata
>> comment=SomethingOtherThanOther -disposition:v:0 attached_pic -map:a 1
>> -metadata comment= '29 My Girl-ReArt.flac'; #Add the album art back using
>> the metadata commands as you suggest, and store to yet another .flac file.
>> Error received:  [swscaler @ 0x7f9648038000] deprecated pixel format
>> used, make sure you did set range correctly

Re: Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

Paul B Mahol
On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 11:31 AM Thibeau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I did that command you gave with video and than audio in that order
> checked it three times.
> The metadata went to the audio not the video.
> Feel free to test it yourself with the provided file.
> Please let me know if it was my mistake and the command is correct when
> you execute it.

I can not guess what you typed. And user assume to much things these days.

So next time post full ffmpeg log.