Quantcast

Interlaced detection

Jon Drukman-2
Can ffmpeg automatically determine if a video file is interlaced and apply
deinterlacing before conversion?

If not, can ffprobe tell me if the file is interlaced so I can set the command
line option?

-jsd-

Re: Interlaced detection

Henk D. Schoneveld
Jon Drukman wrote:
> Can ffmpeg automatically determine if a video file is interlaced and apply
> deinterlacing before conversion?
Not automatically AFAIK, bit ffmpeg -i source.ext
gives among other info:
Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 50.00
(50/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
The first 50.00 says frame rate, but field-rate would be more
appropriate, so 50 fields ats 25fps, so it's interlaced.

> If not, can ffprobe tell me if the file is interlaced so I can set the command
> line option?
>
> -jsd-

Re: Interlaced detection

Bouke-3
>> Can ffmpeg automatically determine if a video file is interlaced and
>> apply
>> deinterlacing before conversion?
> Not automatically AFAIK, bit ffmpeg -i source.ext
> gives among other info:
> Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 50.00
> (50/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
> The first 50.00 says frame rate, but field-rate would be more appropriate,
> so 50 fields ats 25fps, so it's interlaced.

Not quite.
It's very common that progressive material travels in an interlaced
environment / container / codec.
So all the metadata might shout 'interlace', the content can very well be
progressive.
The only way to know for sure is to look at the image. (Or, have an
application to do that for you.)
And watch at least a couple of frames. If pulldown is added, some frames are
progressive, some are not...

A way to have an application check is to split the material in fields, put
them on top of each other with a difference operator, and see how black the
end result is.

Bouke