I am a new ffmpeg user...

Barry Smith
I need to recode some rips that I made from a DVD collection. I want
to use a different set of options to make my rips smalled. I am not
looking to distribute torrents or put my legal rips anywhere except on
a USB flash drive.
So, after searching the internet, I found out about FFDSHOW. sounded
like the perfect solution for what I wanted to do.
So, I found the download page on the main ffdshow website, and I
downloaded a Windows "full build" file 7zip'd from the git hub site.
I had absolutely no problem at all. the name pf the file is
ffmpeg-2021-03-09-git-c35e456f54-full_build.7z.

I looked through the archive, and couldn't find ANY install.* or
setup.* so I extracted  the archive.

I'm trying to read through the doc folder, but  even though this "full
build" was bui;t specifically for Windows, there is absolutely NOTHING
about how to move the list of required files into the system or
system32 directories. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing about setting up a
"Programs" or "Program Files " subfolder or "Program Files(x86)"
folder.

There is absolutely NOTHING about putting all of the package together
where a PATH could find the files correctly. This is a FULL BUILD
package and there is nothing about putting the FULL BUILD  package
into the path! There is absolutely NOTHING even from a previous
version of Windows 3.1/95/XT AT... NOTHING at all about placing FFMPEG
onto any Windows environment so that the executables will be found.

You talk about the options for the command line... but you don't
mention putting ANY file where Windows can actually find the
executable or any lib file or absolutely ANYTHING about placing FFMPEG
on a windows system so that a windows user can get the tool to work.

It would be normal to open cmd, do a CD to where your workfiles are,
and then run FFMPEG from the commandline by typing  "ffmpeg
{optionlist}" but there is no COPYING. in your 7zip file.

Can I get some hints on makimg Windows do some of the work that it was
built to do out-of-the-box? some standard environment variables to use
when executing? Something?

Thank you for your help on trying to figure out how to copy/move the
files from under
"C:\Users\Barry\Downloads\ffmpeg-2021-03-09-git-c35e456f54-full_build
to maybe "C:\Windows\System" or "C:\Windows\System32"?

ok... was "ffmpeg-2021-03-09-git-c35e456f54-full_build" built for
32-bit or 64-bit? Probably 32-bit, but I don't even know from looking
at anything yet inluded in the 7zip file.

these are questions that i need answered before I csn even execute any
of the 4 tools included in the build in the bin/ folder.
--
Barry Smith
c *in process*

Re: I am a new ffmpeg user...

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
On 2021-03-10 21:30, Barry Smith wrote:
-snip-
> these are questions that i need answered before I csn even execute any
> of the 4 tools included in the build in the bin/ folder.

Hello, Barry,

I can tell you're upset. May I recommend Handbrake for your recodes? It will give you all the power
you want without any headaches. Handbrake is a Windows GUI application and does a very good job.

Regards,
Mark.

Re: I am a new ffmpeg user...

Peter White
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:30:20PM -0500, Barry Smith wrote:
> There is absolutely NOTHING about putting all of the package together
> where a PATH could find the files correctly
That is because *you* need to set up the PATH accordingly. Windows by
design is rather stupid in that regard since there is no central place
where all the executables go, like i.e. on a Unix system (/usr/bin
etc.). So you need to put the directory where ffmpeg is installed in
your PATH variable yourself.

Re: I am a new ffmpeg user...

Gyan Doshi-2

On 2021-03-11 08:00, Barry Smith wrote:

> I need to recode some rips that I made from a DVD collection. I want
> to use a different set of options to make my rips smalled. I am not
> looking to distribute torrents or put my legal rips anywhere except on
> a USB flash drive.
> So, after searching the internet, I found out about FFDSHOW. sounded
> like the perfect solution for what I wanted to do.
> So, I found the download page on the main ffdshow website, and I
> downloaded a Windows "full build" file 7zip'd from the git hub site.
> I had absolutely no problem at all. the name pf the file is
> ffmpeg-2021-03-09-git-c35e456f54-full_build.7z.
>
> I looked through the archive, and couldn't find ANY install.* or
> setup.* so I extracted  the archive.

The ffmpeg binaries are standalone and require no installation to any
specific path.

Nonetheless, users new to the CLI may find this link useful:

https://video.stackexchange.com/q/20495/

The binaries are 64-bit as mentioned on the first line of the README.

Regards,
Gyan

Re: I am a new ffmpeg user...

Bo Berglund
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 21:30:20 -0500, Barry Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Can I get some hints on makimg Windows do some of the work that it was
>built to do out-of-the-box? some standard environment variables to use
>when executing? Something?

For Windows 10:

- Extract the files into *any* folder of your liking, C:\ffmpeg seems a good
candidate
- Open ControlPanel/System
- Click Advanced System Settings in the left column
- Click "Environment Variables" at the bottom
- In the bottom panel select the item "path" and hit button Edit
- Click button "New"
- Type in C:\ffmpeg into the box (the location of the binaries)
- OK out

Now the dir you entered is added to the Windows path and whatever binary is
inside will be found.

NOTE:
I only take your word for where the binary files land when you extract the
archive. If there is a bin dir or similar in the exttracted dir then that is
probably the dir you want to add as described.

And to second Mark Filipak's response:
I also recommend Handbrake to do format conversions and the like using a GUI.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden