Hiding part of a video

FFmpeg-users mailing list
I publish speeches I give during zoom meetings. The problem is that
some people forget to mute themselves and when they make a sound they
will appear in the video. Luckily most time people do not have a
problem with that. But if they would, what would the best way to hide
them?

Example at 6:23:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bGpUX_mtws

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Hiding part of a video

Carl Zwanzig
On 3/26/2021 2:09 AM, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> I publish speeches I give during zoom meetings. The problem is that
> some people forget to mute themselves and when they make a sound they
> will appear in the video. Luckily most time people do not have a
> problem with that. But if they would, what would the best way to hide
> them?

Pull the video into some editing software and drop in a few replacement
frames when needed. You could do this with ffmpeg, but it's probably going
to be simpler in the long run with with purpose-built editing software*
(FOSS editors often use ffmpeg libraries inside, I know shotcut does).

*openShot, Kdenlive, VidCutter, Shotcut, etc

(You might be able to build a house with just a Swiss Army knife, but it'll
be easier if you also have a hammer.)

z!

Re: Hiding part of a video

FFmpeg-users mailing list
Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 3/26/2021 2:09 AM, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>> I publish speeches I give during zoom meetings. The problem is that
>> some people forget to mute themselves and when they make a sound they
>> will appear in the video. Luckily most time people do not have a
>> problem with that. But if they would, what would the best way to hide
>> them?
>
> Pull the video into some editing software and drop in a few replacement
> frames when needed. You could do this with ffmpeg, but it's probably
> going to be simpler in the long run with with purpose-built editing
> software* (FOSS editors often use ffmpeg libraries inside, I know
> shotcut does).
>
> *openShot, Kdenlive, VidCutter, Shotcut, etc
>
> (You might be able to build a house with just a Swiss Army knife, but
> it'll be easier if you also have a hammer.)

In the past I tried a few. (One was Kdenlive.) I found that quite
cumbersome. That is why I wrote some scripts to do the work for me.
But that was quite some time ago. So maybe it is better now.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Hiding part of a video

FFmpeg-users mailing list
Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <[hidden email]> writes:

> Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On 3/26/2021 2:09 AM, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>>> I publish speeches I give during zoom meetings. The problem is that
>>> some people forget to mute themselves and when they make a sound they
>>> will appear in the video. Luckily most time people do not have a
>>> problem with that. But if they would, what would the best way to hide
>>> them?
>>
>> Pull the video into some editing software and drop in a few replacement
>> frames when needed. You could do this with ffmpeg, but it's probably
>> going to be simpler in the long run with with purpose-built editing
>> software* (FOSS editors often use ffmpeg libraries inside, I know
>> shotcut does).
>>
>> *openShot, Kdenlive, VidCutter, Shotcut, etc
>>
>> (You might be able to build a house with just a Swiss Army knife, but
>> it'll be easier if you also have a hammer.)
>
> In the past I tried a few. (One was Kdenlive.) I found that quite
> cumbersome. That is why I wrote some scripts to do the work for me.
> But that was quite some time ago. So maybe it is better now.

If the offending speakers appear in a well-defined region, you can use a
combination of crop, pad and overlay filters. I did something similar
for a zoom recording with

ffmpeg -y -i $part1 -filter_complex 'split[v0][v1]; [v0]crop=x=0:y=0:w=1360, pad=width=1814:height=1008[v2]; [v1]crop=x=1360:y=250:w=454:h=260, pad=width=1814:height=1008:x=0:y=0:color=black@0xff[v3]; [v2][v3]overlay=x=1360:y=0[v]' -map '[v]' -map 0:a -c:a copy ${part1t}

I can explain what is going on here, but basically [v2] contains the
'good' region of the frame, and [v3] is set up to contain a black frame
that is overlaid on [v2].

Leo