FFmpeg list footer

12

FFmpeg list footer

Monex
Can someone with list admin access (admins at foot of this email) please update the footer for this mailing list to assist new posters - because few people read the list FAQ and the devs and regulars spend too much time reminding posters of the list rules. I'm suggesting the following but please discuss:

<footer>

. Do not top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message.
. Include complete terminal command/all information.
. Include uncut console output (trim excess/repeating lines).
. Upload sample video to public servers and include a link.
. Delete all footers, sigs, other junk before replying.

</footer>

List admins:

mX

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Reindl Harald

Am 09.03.21 um 11:48 schrieb mX:

> Can someone with list admin access (admins at foot of this email) please update the footer for this mailing list to assist new posters - because few people read the list FAQ and the devs and regulars spend too much time reminding posters of the list rules. I'm suggesting the following but please discuss:
>
> <footer>
>
> . Do not top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message.
> . Include complete terminal command/all information.
> . Include uncut console output (trim excess/repeating lines).
> . Upload sample video to public servers and include a link.
> . Delete all footers, sigs, other junk before replying.

> </footer>

sorry, but i fell insulted when i get explained how to walk on each and
every mail bottom

how do you even think that would help?

look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top post"
and how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence change that

look at the bunch of idiots quoting the list footer 1,,2 or even 3 times
in their replies and you see they don't give a shit

look at the bunch of idiots taking a random message, press reply-all and
change the subject to "unsubscribe"

so in the real world the bunch of idiots with no brain and no
capabilities for operate a mail client don't give a shit whatever spam
you place at the bottom of each mail

you only insult the others explaining them daily how to walk

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Michael Koch
Am 09.03.2021 um 12:05 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top
> post" and how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence
> change that

That's because many people don't know what the term "top-posting" means.
I think it's a good idea to explain it with a short sentence "Do not
top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message".

Michael

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Peter White
Let me throw in my very humble two cents.

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 12:05:05PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 09.03.21 um 11:48 schrieb mX:
> > Can someone with list admin access (admins at foot of this email) please update the footer for this mailing list to assist new posters - because few people read the list FAQ and the devs and regulars spend too much time reminding posters of the list rules. I'm suggesting the following but please discuss:
> >
> > <footer>
> >
> > . Do not top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message.
> > . Include complete terminal command/all information.
> > . Include uncut console output (trim excess/repeating lines).
> > . Upload sample video to public servers and include a link.
> > . Delete all footers, sigs, other junk before replying.

> > To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> > [hidden email] with subject "unsubscribe".
> >
> > </footer>
>
> sorry, but i fell insulted when i get explained how to walk on each and
> every mail bottom

I wouldn't. It is just an additional set of reminders which anybody who
knows how to work can happily ignore.

> how do you even think that would help?

Maybe it would reduce the number of people doing this.

> look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top post" and
> how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence change that
>
> look at the bunch of idiots quoting the list footer 1,,2 or even 3 times in
> their replies and you see they don't give a shit
>
> look at the bunch of idiots taking a random message, press reply-all and
> change the subject to "unsubscribe"

Yes, there will always be those that ignore everything. But I think
there are some who are just new or unfamiliar with the style of mailing
lists. If only some of those read the footer and act accordingly, there
would be less of those reminder messages.

> so in the real world the bunch of idiots with no brain and no capabilities
> for operate a mail client don't give a shit whatever spam you place at the
> bottom of each mail

I think it is not about that bunch of idiots but about the ignorant ones
(as in: "sorry, didn't know that").

> you only insult the others explaining them daily how to walk

Do you really think that? I, for one, do not even notice the footer
anymore, since I know its content. Maybe other subscribers do the same.

Peter

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Rob Hallam-2
On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 10:48, mX <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can someone with list admin access (admins at foot of this email) please update the footer for this mailing list to assist new posters

I am in favour of general etiquette directions in the footer, as suggested.

That said, I'm not sure this will help much with new posters not
following conventions; but it does at least help remind people of
those conventions.

Suggestion:

I would also include "Please follow our Code of Conduct <link>". However,
it is not clear if the CoC applies to ffmpeg-user, since the reference to it
appears in the developers/contributing section of the website.

Such a footer would be relatively lengthy compared to the current one,
but no doubt email clients can be configured to elide it.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Reindl Harald

Am 09.03.21 um 12:20 schrieb Michael Koch:
> Am 09.03.2021 um 12:05 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>>
>> look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top
>> post" and how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence
>> change that
>
> That's because many people don't know what the term "top-posting" means.
> I think it's a good idea to explain it with a short sentence "Do not
> top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message".

as said: bunch of idiots!

when someone tells me "don't top post" and i don't understand what that
means i type it into google

https://www.google.at/search?q=%22don%27t+top+post%22
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mailing_list_etiquette

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise should also
be com,mon sense, but it isn't

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Peter White
On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 12:20:32PM +0100, Michael Koch wrote:
> Am 09.03.2021 um 12:05 schrieb Reindl Harald:
> >
> > look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top post"
> > and how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence change that
>
> That's because many people don't know what the term "top-posting" means. I
> think it's a good idea to explain it with a short sentence "Do not top-post
> i.e. reply *below* last thread message".

Plus a link to an explanation of quoting style, otherwise you get full
quotes, which are only marginally better than top-posts.

Peter

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Reindl Harald

Am 09.03.21 um 12:23 schrieb Peter White:
>> sorry, but i fell insulted when i get explained how to walk on each and
>> every mail bottom
>
> I wouldn't. It is just an additional set of reminders which anybody who
> knows how to work can happily ignore.

i am annoyed by the current footer because it's large enough and get
quoted as well as all sort of useless disclaimers again and again

>> how do you even think that would help?
>
> Maybe it would reduce the number of people doing this.

i doubt

>> look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top post" and
>> how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence change that
>>
>> look at the bunch of idiots quoting the list footer 1,,2 or even 3 times in
>> their replies and you see they don't give a shit
>>
>> look at the bunch of idiots taking a random message, press reply-all and
>> change the subject to "unsubscribe"
>
> Yes, there will always be those that ignore everything. But I think
> there are some who are just new or unfamiliar with the style of mailing
> lists. If only some of those read the footer and act accordingly, there
> would be less of those reminder messages.

this belongs in the welcome-message after subscrfiption and idiots which
don't read or understand it have to be unsubscribed - case closed

>> so in the real world the bunch of idiots with no brain and no capabilities
>> for operate a mail client don't give a shit whatever spam you place at the
>> bottom of each mail
>
> I think it is not about that bunch of idiots but about the ignorant ones
> (as in: "sorry, didn't know that").

and you *really* think they would have read the list footer?

>> you only insult the others explaining them daily how to walk
>
> Do you really think that? I, for one, do not even notice the footer
> anymore, since I know its content. Maybe other subscribers do the same

i see this fucking footer quoted multiple times in the middle fo
messages way too often

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Nicolas George
mX (12021-03-09):

> Can someone with list admin access (admins at foot of this email)
> please update the footer for this mailing list to assist new posters -
> because few people read the list FAQ and the devs and regulars spend
> too much time reminding posters of the list rules. I'm suggesting the
> following but please discuss:
>
> <footer>
>
> . Do not top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message.
> . Include complete terminal command/all information.
> . Include uncut console output (trim excess/repeating lines).
> . Upload sample video to public servers and include a link.
> . Delete all footers, sigs, other junk before replying.
What makes you think the people who do not read the list guidelines and
FAQ will read the list footer?

  Nicolas George

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Rob Hallam-2
On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 11:36, Nicolas George <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What makes you think the people who do not read the list guidelines and
> FAQ will read the list footer?

Quick q: is the current footer as minimal as whatever local
laws are applicable? I assume it has basic identity and
unsubscribing info in there as mandated <somewhere>.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Michael Koch
Am 09.03.2021 um 12:36 schrieb Nicolas George:

> mX (12021-03-09):
>> Can someone with list admin access (admins at foot of this email)
>> please update the footer for this mailing list to assist new posters -
>> because few people read the list FAQ and the devs and regulars spend
>> too much time reminding posters of the list rules. I'm suggesting the
>> following but please discuss:
>>
>> <footer>
>>
>> . Do not top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message.
>> . Include complete terminal command/all information.
>> . Include uncut console output (trim excess/repeating lines).
>> . Upload sample video to public servers and include a link.
>> . Delete all footers, sigs, other junk before replying.
> What makes you think the people who do not read the list guidelines and
> FAQ will read the list footer?

I think it's more likely that someone who subscribes to the list reads
some other messages before he posts his own message. It's not sure that
he did read the list guidelines and FAQ.

Michael

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Jim Hollingsworth
How about somebody remove those who have unsubscribed 10 times!!!!

On Mar 9, 2021, at 6:29 AM, Reindl Harald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 09.03.21 um 12:23 schrieb Peter White:
>> sorry, but i fell insulted when i get explained how to walk on each and
>> every mail bottom
> I wouldn't. It is just an additional set of reminders which anybody who
> knows how to work can happily ignore.

i am annoyed by the current footer because it's large enough and get quoted as well as all sort of useless disclaimers again and again

>> how do you even think that would help?
> Maybe it would reduce the number of people doing this.

i doubt

>> look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top post" and
>> how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence change that
>>
>> look at the bunch of idiots quoting the list footer 1,,2 or even 3 times in
>> their replies and you see they don't give a shit
>>
>> look at the bunch of idiots taking a random message, press reply-all and
>> change the subject to "unsubscribe"
> Yes, there will always be those that ignore everything. But I think
> there are some who are just new or unfamiliar with the style of mailing
> lists. If only some of those read the footer and act accordingly, there
> would be less of those reminder messages.

this belongs in the welcome-message after subscrfiption and idiots which don't read or understand it have to be unsubscribed - case closed

>> so in the real world the bunch of idiots with no brain and no capabilities
>> for operate a mail client don't give a shit whatever spam you place at the
>> bottom of each mail
> I think it is not about that bunch of idiots but about the ignorant ones
> (as in: "sorry, didn't know that").

and you *really* think they would have read the list footer?

>> you only insult the others explaining them daily how to walk
> Do you really think that? I, for one, do not even notice the footer
> anymore, since I know its content. Maybe other subscribers do the same

i see this fucking footer quoted multiple times in the middle fo messages way too often

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Jim Hollingsworth
UNSUBSCRIBE!!!!

Am 09.03.21 um 13:09 schrieb Jim Hollingsworth:
> How about somebody remove those who have unsubscribed 10 times!!!!

how about confirm the unsubscribe?
how about relaize that the list members you spam with "unsubscribe"
can't do it for you?

Am 09.03.21 um 13:10 schrieb Jim Hollingsworth:
> UNSUBSCRIBE!!!!

how about go and fuck yourself - i can't unsubscribe you

> On Mar 9, 2021, at 7:09 AM, Jim Hollingsworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How about somebody remove those who have unsubscribed 10 times!!!!
>
> On Mar 9, 2021, at 6:29 AM, Reindl Harald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Am 09.03.21 um 12:23 schrieb Peter White:
>>> sorry, but i fell insulted when i get explained how to walk on each and
>>> every mail bottom
>> I wouldn't. It is just an additional set of reminders which anybody who
>> knows how to work can happily ignore.
>
> i am annoyed by the current footer because it's large enough and get quoted as well as all sort of useless disclaimers again and again
>
>>> how do you even think that would help?
>> Maybe it would reduce the number of people doing this.
>
> i doubt
>
>>> look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top post" and
>>> how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence change that
>>>
>>> look at the bunch of idiots quoting the list footer 1,,2 or even 3 times in
>>> their replies and you see they don't give a shit
>>>
>>> look at the bunch of idiots taking a random message, press reply-all and
>>> change the subject to "unsubscribe"
>> Yes, there will always be those that ignore everything. But I think
>> there are some who are just new or unfamiliar with the style of mailing
>> lists. If only some of those read the footer and act accordingly, there
>> would be less of those reminder messages.
>
> this belongs in the welcome-message after subscrfiption and idiots which don't read or understand it have to be unsubscribed - case closed
>
>>> so in the real world the bunch of idiots with no brain and no capabilities
>>> for operate a mail client don't give a shit whatever spam you place at the
>>> bottom of each mail
>> I think it is not about that bunch of idiots but about the ignorant ones
>> (as in: "sorry, didn't know that").
>
> and you *really* think they would have read the list footer?
>
>>> you only insult the others explaining them daily how to walk
>> Do you really think that? I, for one, do not even notice the footer
>> anymore, since I know its content. Maybe other subscribers do the same
>
> i see this fucking footer quoted multiple times in the middle fo messages way too often

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Ulf Zibis-2

Am 09.03.21 um 12:25 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> as said: bunch of idiots!
Please take into account, that people tend to completely ignore posts of people who repetitively express as such, me too in most cases. This time I do an exception!!!

> when someone tells me "don't top post" and i don't understand what that means i type it into google

Except that I avoid Google as good as I can ... in my case in the beginning I understood: "Do not post on top of existing threads" So there was no reason to refer any kind of help.
Additionally, as I'm member of plenty of mailing list since decades, and there I never noticed complains about not to answer on top quoted text, this concern was really new and surprising to me, when starting to use ffmpeg mailing list.

So in my opinion it would help much to outline clearly, what is meant by top-posting, at least in the very verbose and already overwhelming FAQ.
Also you may take into account, that the time between, reading the FAQ, subscribing to the list and the first active usage can be looong, so people might have already forgotten, what the have read in the FAQ some time before.

-Ulf

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Jim DeLaHunt-2
On 2021-03-09 02:48, mX wrote:

> Can someone with list admin access (admins at foot of this email) please update the footer for this mailing list to assist new posters - because few people read the list FAQ and the devs and regulars spend too much time reminding posters of the list rules. I'm suggesting the following but please discuss: [… suggested text elided …]

As someone who is not a list admin but who has watched a lot happen on
this list, I do not object to experimenting with this, but also I don't
completely agree with the unstated premise of the suggestion.

Yes, few people read the list FAQ. Yes, the devs and regulars spend too
much time reminding posters of the list rules. However, I think your
unstated premise is that changing the footer will reduce the problem. I
am skeptical about that.

Firstly, I think a number of people will overlook that footer. Just look
at all the people who send an unsubscribe message to the list, not
following the correct way to unsubscribe, which the footer already
describes. (This thread even provoked an example of that, apparently
[1].) Secondly, I think that explaining rules in enough detail to be
effective would take more space than we want to use in a footer.

My alternate proposal is that we write a documentation page which
explains the list rules, written for the list reader who is unfamiliar
with the rules but who wants to follow them. We should say what
behaviour we want on the list, and explain it clearly. Then we link to
that page in the list footer. Also, by including good link anchors in
the documentation, we can write list messages that remind about good
behaviour with a link to the page. e.g. "Please don't top-post here. See
<link to list rules documentation.html#dont-top-post>.

I predict that in the course of writing this documentation page, we will
discover that there is disagreement about what the rules actually are.
So, thirdly, I think this exercise will be effective only if the project
members with authority agree what the rules actually are, and if the
documentation page reflects that agreement.

I also predict that having a difference between what the rules say and
how people actually behave will be corrosive to good list behaviour.
See, for example, [2]. So I predict that writing this documentation page
will sharpen the problem of list admins not correcting bad behaviour.

But, there's no harm to experimenting with the list footer contents. I
just have low confidence that it will reduce the problem.

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt

[1] https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2021-March/052349.html
[2] https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2021-March/052353.html

> <footer>
>
> . Do not top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message.
> . Include complete terminal command/all information.
> . Include uncut console output (trim excess/repeating lines).
> . Upload sample video to public servers and include a link.
> . Delete all footers, sigs, other junk before replying.

> </footer>
>
> List admins:

> mX

Re: FFmpeg list footer

Carl Zwanzig
On 3/9/2021 11:52 AM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> Yes, few people read the list FAQ.

I suspect the issue is that very few people know that the FAQ exists and
ought to be read/followed, this includes some long-time list members,

The list FAQ should also be mentioned in the the welcome message. I raised
this, over a year ago to a/the list owner, who replied--

>> Could we include the entire FAQ section 6.1 into the list welcome
>> message? (I don't know specifically who maintains the list.) That might
>> cut down on some of the badly-written postings.

> thanks for the input and it's definitely a good idea - if it cuts down
> bad messages, well we might hope for that at least 0:-)

But AFAIK nothing happened.

z!

Re: FFmpeg list footer

FFmpeg-users mailing list
 One of the other issues with this is that nobody ever seems to bother enforcing any rule whatsoever on this list in any case, so I view the entire discussion as pointless.

Am 09.03.21 um 21:13 schrieb Phil Rhodes via ffmpeg-user:

>   One of the other issues with this is that nobody ever seems to bother enforcing any rule whatsoever on this list in any case, so I view the entire discussion as pointless.
>      On Tuesday, 9 March 2021, 20:08:09 GMT, Carl Zwanzig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   On 3/9/2021 11:52 AM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
>> Yes, few people read the list FAQ.
>
> I suspect the issue is that very few people know that the FAQ exists and
> ought to be read/followed, this includes some long-time list members,
>

> The list FAQ should also be mentioned in the the welcome message. I raised
> this, over a year ago to a/the list owner, who replied--
>
>>> Could we include the entire FAQ section 6.1 into the list welcome
>>> message? (I don't know specifically who maintains the list.) That might
>>> cut down on some of the badly-written postings.
>
>> thanks for the input and it's definitely a good idea - if it cuts down
>> bad messages, well we might hope for that at least 0:-)
>
> But AFAIK nothing happened

well, you guy aren't even capable to operate a mail client basically -
look what in your message appears like it's part of your response while
it's part of the quote
12