Quantcast

FFMpeg presets for H.264 streaming

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

FFMpeg presets for H.264 streaming

Horacio Sanson-3
Just wondering what would be a good preset to encode h.264 files
adapted for streaming over the Internet. Something that produces an
extended profile file with support for data partioning and slices.


regards,
Horacio
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FFMpeg presets for H.264 streaming

Jason Garrett-Glaser
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Horacio Sanson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just wondering what would be a good preset to encode h.264 files
> adapted for streaming over the Internet. Something that produces an
> extended profile file with support for data partioning and slices.

Extended profile has basically never been used by anyone for any
serious purpose.  I doubt there exists any support outside of toy
research encoders and the official reference, nevermind the fact that
no practical decoder supports it either.

Dark Shikari
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FFMpeg presets for H.264 streaming

Horacio Sanson-3
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Horacio Sanson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just wondering what would be a good preset to encode h.264 files
>> adapted for streaming over the Internet. Something that produces an
>> extended profile file with support for data partioning and slices.
>
> Extended profile has basically never been used by anyone for any
> serious purpose.  I doubt there exists any support outside of toy
> research encoders and the official reference, nevermind the fact that
> no practical decoder supports it either.
>
Thanks for the reply... so I can forget about data partitions for
network loss resilience. What about slices?? is there a way to set the
slice maximum size (i.e. MTU size) or at least force ffmpeg to
generate at least two slices per video frame?

regards,
Horacio

> Dark Shikari
> _______________________________________________
> ffmpeg-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
>
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FFMpeg presets for H.264 streaming

Jason Garrett-Glaser
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Horacio Sanson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Horacio Sanson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just wondering what would be a good preset to encode h.264 files
>>> adapted for streaming over the Internet. Something that produces an
>>> extended profile file with support for data partioning and slices.
>>
>> Extended profile has basically never been used by anyone for any
>> serious purpose.  I doubt there exists any support outside of toy
>> research encoders and the official reference, nevermind the fact that
>> no practical decoder supports it either.
>>
> Thanks for the reply... so I can forget about data partitions for
> network loss resilience. What about slices?? is there a way to set the
> slice maximum size (i.e. MTU size) or at least force ffmpeg to
> generate at least two slices per video frame?

The encoder is x264, and no, x264 does not support multiple slices.

If you're expecting loss over your connection, the proper solution is
to implement some sort of FEC.

Dark Shikari
_______________________________________________
ffmpeg-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/ffmpeg-user
Loading...