Do I really need libaom?

Alexander Dyagilev
Hello,

We need to give our users an ability to convert arbitrary video files to
MP4.

Some of these files uses AV1 codec.

I've enabled the use of libdav1d library (which contains decoder only).

Do we really need to include libaom too?

Is it OK (for a generic user purposes) to convert from AV1 to something
else (or maybe it will be just copied without re-encoding) ?

We use FFmpeg to convert in the following simple way:

ffmpeg -i INPUT_FILE OUTPUT_FILE

Example:

ffmpeg -i myfile.mkv myfile.mp4

Why don't we want to include libaom? We would like to not increase the
size of our distributive as much as possible.

Re: Do I really need libaom?

Carl Eugen Hoyos-2
Am Mo., 22. Feb. 2021 um 13:18 Uhr schrieb Alexander Dyagilev
<[hidden email]>:

> We need to give our users an ability to convert arbitrary video
> files to MP4.
>
> Some of these files uses AV1 codec.
>
> I've enabled the use of libdav1d library (which contains decoder only).
>
> Do we really need to include libaom too?

You need it if you want to encode to AV1.
For decoding AV1, dav1d alone is sufficient.

Carl Eugen

Re: Do I really need libaom?

Alexander Dyagilev
But do I really need to encode?

On 2/22/2021 11:39 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Am Mo., 22. Feb. 2021 um 13:18 Uhr schrieb Alexander Dyagilev
> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> We need to give our users an ability to convert arbitrary video
>> files to MP4.
>>
>> Some of these files uses AV1 codec.
>>
>> I've enabled the use of libdav1d library (which contains decoder only).
>>
>> Do we really need to include libaom too?
> You need it if you want to encode to AV1.
> For decoding AV1, dav1d alone is sufficient.
>
> Carl Eugen

Re: Do I really need libaom?

Reindl Harald

Am 23.02.21 um 08:59 schrieb Alexander Dyagilev:
> But do I really need to encode?
how should we know if you need to encode?
if you don't know what your output formats are who else?

what about enable as few as possible stuff at build time and only add
features if you miss something?

> On 2/22/2021 11:39 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Am Mo., 22. Feb. 2021 um 13:18 Uhr schrieb Alexander Dyagilev
>> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> We need to give our users an ability to convert arbitrary video
>>> files to MP4.
>>>
>>> Some of these files uses AV1 codec.
>>>
>>> I've enabled the use of libdav1d library (which contains decoder only).
>>>
>>> Do we really need to include libaom too?
>> You need it if you want to encode to AV1.
>> For decoding AV1, dav1d alone is sufficient.

Re: Do I really need libaom?

Moritz Barsnick
On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:59:07 +0300, Alexander Dyagilev wrote:
> But do I really need to encode?

That depends on what you want to achieve. If you use the copy codec
("-c copy"), you get a much faster creation of the target file, but
with unchanged codecs. You write:

> to convert arbitrary video files to MP4

MP4 is just a container format. If the consumers of your files can
decode AV1, then fine.

You would need to re-encode if the source file contains codecs not
supported by MP4.

Cheers,
Moritz

Re: Do I really need libaom?

Alexander Dyagilev
Thank you very much for the response! :)