Determine timecode of errors

Er Win
Hey ffmpeg-user,

when ffmpeg reports errors it looks like this:

Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input
[h264 @ 000001d8c0fe9cc0] Invalid NAL unit size (0 > 7208).
[h264 @ 000001d8c0fe9cc0] Error splitting the input into NAL units.

How can I find out what is the timecode for the reported error(s) in streams (audio/video)?

Thanks

Re: Determine timecode of errors

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
On 2021-03-21 05:04, Er Win wrote:
> Hey ffmpeg-user,
>
> when ffmpeg reports errors it looks like this:
>
> Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input
> [h264 @ 000001d8c0fe9cc0] Invalid NAL unit size (0 > 7208).
> [h264 @ 000001d8c0fe9cc0] Error splitting the input into NAL units.
>
> How can I find out what is the timecode for the reported error(s) in streams (audio/video)?

Have you tried 'verbose' or 'debug' reporting?
I don't know whether they would report the timecodes but it's worth a try, eh?

--
Mars? We can't live there! Mars is fatal: no magnetosphere to deflect cosmic rays. A tropical
sunshade orbiting Earth would work. It's the only way. We need to start construction now. Forget Mars.

Re: Determine timecode of errors

Er Win
Hey Mark,

nice idea, loglevel info (and up like verbose and error) gives lines like this in addition to the error log lines:

frame=80148 fps=1452 q=-0.0 size=N/A time=00:53:32.20 bitrate=N/A speed=58.2x

I think this output is shown every 0.5 seconds so depending on the coding speed it is more or less precise. Using -threads 1 the output is more fine grained (but processing takes longer, obviously). This can be used to estimate the timecode of the error (last line before and first line after the error report), however this method is not precise.
Loglevel debug does not seem to provide additional useful information about timecodes.

Yes, one can do binary search on the estimated time range using -ss and -t but there should be an easier way.