Compiling FFmpeg with Nvidia GPU acceleration

Compiling FFmpeg with Nvidia GPU acceleration

FFmpeg-users mailing list
Hi

I'm using Using FFmpeg with NVIDIA GPU Hardware Acceleration :: NVIDIA Video
Codec SDK Documentation
<https://docs.nvidia.com/video-technologies/video-codec-sdk/ffmpeg-with-nvid
ia-gpu/>  for Windows 10

All goes well until I hit the last three commands:

* Goto nv-codec-headers directory and install ffnvcodec

make install PREFIX=/usr

* Go to the FFmpeg installation folder and run the following command.

./configure --enable-nonfree -disable-shared --enable-cuda-sdk
--enable-libnpp --toolchain=msvc --extra-cflags=-I../nv_sdk
--extra-ldflags=-libpath:../nv_sdk

* Compile the code by executing the following command.

make -j 8

I cannot get the 'make' command to work - I get  'make' is not recognized as
an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

I did try the next command, the ./configure one, this was also rejected.

Can anyone please help with this?

Derek Clements

Re: Compiling FFmpeg with Nvidia GPU acceleration

Carl Zwanzig
On 1/15/2021 10:49 AM, madderek--- via ffmpeg-user wrote:

> I cannot get the 'make' command to work - I get  'make' is not recognized as
> an internal or external command,
>
> operable program or batch file.

Well.... install make (nvidia's instructions include that).

What's your intended build environment? VisualStudio of msys2/mingw? If
mingw, did you install the 'c' compiler?

The nvidia instructions don't cover installing a heap of things, like the
compiler and a lot of packages. (They also say "–-toolchain=msvc" even as
they're giving instructions for mingw, which is suspect (I haven't looked at
the code yet to see if it matters.)

So first, make sure you have a working build environment, that's out the
scope of this list. Then look at the instructions for building ffmpeg-

I use "Option 2: MSYS2" of
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MinGW

If you're using visual studio, see
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MSVC

You'll have to manually install any needed packages, usually ./configure
will tell you when something's missing.

Once you can build ffmpeg without cuda, then try building with cuda. And you
may want to follow up with nvidia if you're using their instructions.

Later,

z!

Re: Compiling FFmpeg with Nvidia GPU acceleration

FFmpeg-users mailing list

Re: Compiling FFmpeg with Nvidia GPU acceleration

Michael Shaffer
You could try using Ubuntu Linux. I followed the Nvidia instructions for
installing acceleration on my GTX 1080 and it worked fine.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 9:47 AM madderek--- via ffmpeg-user <

> [...]

Does that mean installing ubuntu rather than Windows? (which I've never done but happy to try!!)

Derek

You could try using Ubuntu Linux. I followed the Nvidia instructions for installing acceleration on my GTX 1080 and it worked fine.

Yes, it replaces Windows.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-desktop#1-overview

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 10:49 AM madderek--- via ffmpeg-user <

> [...]

Please fix your email quoting and send plain text to this list.

On 1/16/2021 6:47 AM, madderek--- via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> C:\Windows\System32\nv-codec-headers>make install PREFIX=/usr
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

It really sounds like you are not familiar with the basic tools used to
compile & build software packages. I realize that "I'm not an expert on any
of this!" but you need to do some research about the command line build
tools and how to use them. This is not an ffmpeg issue.

As I said previously, try first building ffmpeg using the instruction from
ffmpeg and without nvidia/cuda; only when that works try adding nvidia.

Later,

z!

Re: Compiling FFmpeg with Nvidia GPU acceleration

FFmpeg-users mailing list

Yes, you are right that I don't understand the compilation of software packages.  That's why I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to explain how to solve the problem, even if it's not an ffmpeg issue.
The instruction that I am using to produce a video from images works, it's just very slow.

Derek