Quantcast

Capturing webcam video in windows using FFMPEG

Capturing webcam video in windows using FFMPEG

VIVEK VIJAYAN
Hello,

         I am developing an application where i need to convert my webcam
video in to H264 format. I am using Windows XP and FFMPEG. The offline file
conversion is working fine with me using FFMPEG. But its not working for
live videos . Can you tell how i can capture Webcam live video using FFMPEG
?  I heard some patches are available for capturing VFW devices but not sure
how to configure it. Please help me.

Thanks,
  Vivek.

Re: Capturing webcam video in windows using FFMPEG

Yohann Martineau-2
On 7/8/08, VIVEK VIJAYAN <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>          I am developing an application where i need to convert my webcam
> video in to H264 format. I am using Windows XP and FFMPEG. The offline file
> conversion is working fine with me using FFMPEG. But its not working for
> live videos . Can you tell how i can capture Webcam live video using FFMPEG
> ?  I heard some patches are available for capturing VFW devices but not sure
> how to configure it. Please help me.

This patch is probably outdated, you will need to understand it precisely and apply it to current svn trunk. I think you cannot simply patch the lastest ffmpeg svn and then compile it "out of the box"...

good luck,

yohann

Re: Capturing webcam video in windows using FFMPEG

Ramiro Polla
VIVEK VIJAYAN wrote:
> Hello,
>
>          I am developing an application where i need to convert my webcam
> video in to H264 format. I am using Windows XP and FFMPEG. The offline file
> conversion is working fine with me using FFMPEG. But its not working for
> live videos . Can you tell how i can capture Webcam live video using FFMPEG
> ?  I heard some patches are available for capturing VFW devices but not sure
> how to configure it. Please help me.

The patch has already been applied to FFmpeg.

By running:
ffmpeg -f vfwcap -i 0 output.mpg
you should be able to record from the default device.

You might have to pass the framerate before the -i, such as:
ffmpeg -f vfwcap -r 25 -i 0 output.mpg

Ramiro Polla

Re: Capturing webcam video in windows using FFMPEG

VIVEK VIJAYAN
Ohh,
  Thats great!! Thanks a lot Ramiro Polla. I will try it out.
Thanks.
Vivek

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Ramiro Polla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> VIVEK VIJAYAN wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >          I am developing an application where i need to convert my webcam
> > video in to H264 format. I am using Windows XP and FFMPEG. The offline
> file
> > conversion is working fine with me using FFMPEG. But its not working for
> > live videos . Can you tell how i can capture Webcam live video using
> FFMPEG
> > ?  I heard some patches are available for capturing VFW devices but not
> sure
> > how to configure it. Please help me.
>
> The patch has already been applied to FFmpeg.
>
> By running:
> ffmpeg -f vfwcap -i 0 output.mpg
> you should be able to record from the default device.
>
> You might have to pass the framerate before the -i, such as:
> ffmpeg -f vfwcap -r 25 -i 0 output.mpg
>
> Ramiro Polla

Re: Capturing webcam video in windows using FFMPEG

VIVEK VIJAYAN
Its working fine great. But i have a doubt. The MP4 file i encoded with is
not playing back in flash player . I dont know whether the input command to
FFMPEG makes a difference. The command i gave  was
           *"C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe"  -f vfwcap -r 15 -i 0
-vcodec x264  -deinterlace -b 65000  "C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\live.mp4"*
the resulting mp4 file is not playing in flash player. Can u suggest me a
good way of doing it?? That will help me a lot since i am not an expert in
FFMPEG field.

Thanks,
  Vivek.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 3:52 PM, VIVEK VIJAYAN <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ohh,
>   Thats great!! Thanks a lot Ramiro Polla. I will try it out.
> Thanks.
> Vivek
>

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Ramiro Polla <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> VIVEK VIJAYAN wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> >          I am developing an application where i need to convert my
>> webcam
>> > video in to H264 format. I am using Windows XP and FFMPEG. The offline
>> file
>> > conversion is working fine with me using FFMPEG. But its not working for
>> > live videos . Can you tell how i can capture Webcam live video using
>> FFMPEG
>> > ?  I heard some patches are available for capturing VFW devices but not
>> sure
>> > how to configure it. Please help me.
>>
>> The patch has already been applied to FFmpeg.
>>
>> By running:
>> ffmpeg -f vfwcap -i 0 output.mpg
>> you should be able to record from the default device.
>>
>> You might have to pass the framerate before the -i, such as:
>> ffmpeg -f vfwcap -r 25 -i 0 output.mpg
>>
>> Ramiro Polla

Re: Capturing webcam video in windows using FFMPEG

Yohann Martineau-2
On 7/8/08, VIVEK VIJAYAN <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Its working fine great.

sorry, I thought it was outdated, but it does not seem to be. I will
check twice next time!

But please avoid top-posting.

Thanks, and sorry,

yohann